Drivers Outer Cab Corner Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LDO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I need a small section of the driver's side lower/outer cab corner.

I've heard there are cheapos out there with very thin metal. Can someone recommend a good vendor for this part?

Thank you in advance!
LDO

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I need a small section of the driver's side lower/outer cab corner.

I've heard there are cheapos out there with very thin metal. Can someone recommend a good vendor for this part?

Thank you in advance!
LDO
I got mine from Summit we’re pretty decent the better stuff comes from Tiawan the crap from China it sucks but it is what it is.

flying2275

Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've got a set in the garage from LMC that I haven't got around to using yet. They're made in Taiwan and marked 1.2mm which comes out to about 18 gauge. I don't know what the factory gauge was.

See photos for part numbers. First two photos are the LH side and third is RH.

You must be registered for see images attach

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I've got a set in the garage from LMC that I haven't got around to using yet. They're made in Taiwan and marked 1.2mm which comes out to about 18 gauge. I don't know what the factory gauge was.

See photos for part numbers. First two photos are the LH side and third is RH.

I read GM used something like 19 gauge in these trucks.... @Keith Seymore would know for sure lol

Last edited:

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
I read GM used something like 19 gauge in these trucks.... @Keith Seymore would know for sure lol

1.2mm is pretty good.

It varies a little bit based on location (ie, underbody structure vs exterior panels) but most of the stuff these days is between .8mm and 1.0mm

K

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
All my panels came from classicparts.com and were Key brand. I didn't go nuts, but where I did measure them they were all 18 ga.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So it sounds like they Key brand are thick enough, how do the fit? I need to do my cab corners too.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
This cab corner was Key Brand also. Fit, is mediocre. I used Tek screws to suck it in here and there, no need for hammer and dolly really. It works good enough for my DD.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Mine will be a daily driver also. So did you overlap the old metal, screw it in place, then weld it? I've never done a patch panel before.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Mine will be a daily driver also. So did you overlap the old metal, screw it in place, then weld it? I've never done a patch panel before.

There are different methods, but I did the quick and dirty, as I call it.

I cut the crap portions out, then put my panel on.

Panel was huge, went all the way to the body line, I didn't need that much, so I trimmed it until it wasn't much larger than the affected area.

I then screwed it to the original metal, got it all lined up, and traced it with a paint marker. I went ahead and went about 2" more than what I had cut away originally, because it always spreads father than you think.

THen I took the patch off, cut away the original to the inside of my cut line. I butted the new piece up at the top and tacked it, then worked my way around it, forcing it in and tacking it.

Then I ground the whole thing smooth, bondo'd over it, pain, and boom, I have the nicest 02 cab corners in Michigan lol.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So you ended up butting the new metal to the old and welding it, not overlapping it? That is how I thought it should be done, but was not sure. When you mentioned screws it threw me off.

I had another vehicle that someone overlapped the metal on a patch instead of butting it up, and it really looked like crap.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
So you ended up butting the new metal to the old and welding it, not overlapping it? That is how I thought it should be done, but was not sure. When you mentioned screws it threw me off.

I had another vehicle that someone overlapped the metal on a patch instead of butting it up, and it really looked like crap.

Yes, when you do it as I described, they'll match everytime, I just used the screws for test fitting.

Although, my neighbor wandered over and seemed pretty mystified when I told him I was taking the screws out lol.

LDO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thanks! I'll start looking for a key parts outter corner for my 85!!

damnoodle

Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've been looking into tabco for patch panels. They claim to be OE quality and made in the USA. I thought all of these square body parts are made over seas with thin metal and worn-out dies. Anyone have experience with them?

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I've been looking into tabco for patch panels. They claim to be OE quality and made in the USA. I thought all of these square body parts are made over seas with thin metal and worn-out dies. Anyone have experience with them?

I had Tabco panels for my square. They were like some archaeologists best guess 1,000 years from now at what a squarebody panels looked like. I cut them up and used them for smaller patches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calebrwalk5