drive shaft hits crossmember

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k5krawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
nick
Truck Year
83/84/77
Truck Model
k5 blazer
Engine Size
what shall i do? C notch the cross member? is this common?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
How much lift? Did you eliminate the double cardan joint? Mine has 6" lift and the DC joint eliminated but wasn't enough to cause contact. Check your trans mount bushings.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Check your trans mount bushings.

...and the motor mounts. My front driveshaft was hitting the crossmember under load, turned out to be the rubber in both motor mounts was mush.

k5krawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
nick
Truck Year
83/84/77
Truck Model
k5 blazer
Engine Size
...and the motor mounts. My front driveshaft was hitting the crossmember under load, turned out to be the rubber in both motor mounts was mush.

its not hitting the cross member i mispoke but its about an inch away it hits my exhaust forshure tho

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Mine clears by more than an inch when the truck is sitting at idle but the worn mounts allowed the engine to torque over enough for contact. It was a bitch to figure out where the noise was coming from because laying under the truck and looking around you would never think the engine could twist that much.

Just to be sure, check the top side of your crossmember near the u-joint with an inspection mirror. If there's a small shiney spot it's been hitting.

Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
My header collector collar contacts the driveshaft with very little front suspension compression. It never really bothered me it contacting but my eventual fix is going to be cut off the collector flange section and weld the reducer directly to the collector. The way my truck gets all twisted up the bastards leak no matter what I do anyway so might as well make them solid, or do bell flanges.

On the other side of the passenger collector I noticed sometimes the front leaf lower shackle bolt sometimes contacts the headers too. I think better designed headers would be the best fix, I think I got the cheapest ones I could find.

k5krawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
nick
Truck Year
83/84/77
Truck Model
k5 blazer
Engine Size
My header collector collar contacts the driveshaft with very little front suspension compression. It never really bothered me it contacting but my eventual fix is going to be cut off the collector flange section and weld the reducer directly to the collector. The way my truck gets all twisted up the bastards leak no matter what I do anyway so might as well make them solid, or do bell flanges.

On the other side of the passenger collector I noticed sometimes the front leaf lower shackle bolt sometimes contacts the headers too. I think better designed headers would be the best fix, I think I got the cheapest ones I could find.

i cant even put the driveshaft in cuz it hits the exhaust

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
More info or pics would be helpful, dont know if you're talking about headers or a Y-pipe or what.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Well, now I think he's talking about the Y-pipe.

Did you just install a lift kit? If so, just have a muffler shop install a new section of exhaust for more clearance. As c4o said, a couple of pics would eliminate the party-game guessing of what the heck you're talking about.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:pics-stfu: :popcorn:

McCSquare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
How much lift? Did you eliminate the double cardan joint? Mine has 6" lift and the DC joint eliminated but wasn't enough to cause contact. Check your trans mount bushings.

I have this problem where the front shaft knocks/taps against the crossmember. How did you "eliminate the double cardan joint"? What amount of clearance do you need?

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
76 and older 203s came with a regular t-case yoke instead of the more common flange for the dc joint. It will bolt right to a 205 but you'll have to have the driveshaft lengthened and modified for a single u-joint at the t-case end at a driveline shop.

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205/d44/corp14
What's the benefit of eliminating the dc joint, isn't it for eliminating the vibrations that come from having a different angle on the u-joints or am I completely off on this one.

McCSquare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
76 and older 203s came with a regular t-case yoke instead of the more common flange for the dc joint. It will bolt right to a 205 but you'll have to have the driveshaft lengthened and modified for a single u-joint at the t-case end at a driveline shop.

I'm pretty sure I have an NP208. Its a 1984 K10. All of that work sounds expensive. What about my T/C mount/bushings?

RoughCountry sells GM T/C Drop Kits with their 4" lifts... My issue is the driveshaft is too close to the crossmember. I imagine this would make my problem worse? My truck was add-a-leaf lifted by the PO.

You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snips71