Drilling through chrome

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
So, I've decided that I would like to keep the tow shackles on #4. However, I want chrome bumpers too. I figure this leaves me with 2 options. Option 1) find a new set of CUCV bumpers and have them chromed. (while the ones on the truck are far from mangled, they've been used enough as bumpers that they're noticeably not straight.) And option 2) drill/cut the openings in a pair of chrome bumpers (which I have a very nice set of, both front and rear.)

The question that I need to know is, can you put holes in a chrome bumper without it flaking and looking like hell? Is there a way to keep the chrome from flaking after it's done, or should I just plan on option 1?

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Drilling a chrome bumper id different than drilling in chrome/moly steel. You will have no trouble drilling your bumper. Use some cutting oil and try to keep from creating too much heat. Deburr and degrease the finished holes and apply a bit of paint or cold galvanizing compound to the holes and you will be good to go.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
see vid below. Looks like he's using flux, used for sweating pipes, on it to help dissipate heat. [edit] actually its cut-it similar to the 2nd link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omLQy5zu90Q

https://www.amazon.com/TTP-HARD-drills-Drilling-Lubricant/dp/B00FPLVPVM

Interesting. I didn't think about better bits to cut through the chrome more cleanly, I'll put that on my list to get too. What I'm really wanting to know is about the possibility of the chrome flaking off after the cutting is done. I'm thinking that if I do this, I'll end up using a drill to make the corners, then connect the holes with a saw or cut off wheel.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Interesting. I didn't think about better bits to cut through the chrome more cleanly, I'll put that on my list to get too. What I'm really wanting to know is about the possibility of the chrome flaking off after the cutting is done. I'm thinking that if I do this, I'll end up using a drill to make the corners, then connect the holes with a saw or cut off wheel.

Saw it don't use a cutoff wheel. Heat is your enemy.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Drilling a chrome bumper id different than drilling in chrome/moly steel. You will have no trouble drilling your bumper. Use some cutting oil and try to keep from creating too much heat. Deburr and degrease the finished holes and apply a bit of paint or cold galvanizing compound to the holes and you will be good to go.

Saw it don't use a cutoff wheel. Heat is your enemy.

10-4. This is what I needed to know. I had though about paint on the edges, but I'll look into getting some cold galv compound.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I had put holes in the rear bumper of suburban with no issues. A hole saw and some cutting fluid. Then sprayed clear coat on the edges.
You must be registered for see images attach

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I think the issue becomes rust bleeding from the raw steel around the cuts as there is no chrome to protect it. Check your price on chroming too. In this wonderful land of California, many chromers are no longer in business due to regulations. I just got quoted $750 for my front bumper and it's straight!

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I think the issue becomes rust bleeding from the raw steel around the cuts as there is no chrome to protect it. Check your price on chroming too. In this wonderful land of California, many chromers are no longer in business due to regulations. I just got quoted $750 for my front bumper and it's straight!

Having avset of CUCV bumpers chromed was always an option, but I think I'll be ok modifying the factory chromes I have. I fully plan to put something on the edge to reseal the fresh cuts, probably something epoxy like, then use a piece of door edge trim as a finisher over the cut.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising