Door striker question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Hmmm, post #3 in this thread seemed to mention something about access through the pillar as well. Strange... :birgits_tiredcoffee

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hmmm, post #3 in this thread seemed to mention something about access through the pillar as well. Strange... :birgits_tiredcoffee

Yeah you did huh? I guess I wasn't following this thread cuz I don't recall seeing alot of this. I know whe had the discusison when I posted the striker repair using pex thread.

I am thinking that carpet as shims isn't OEM. I think I'd liook for some thick washers and replace that cloth.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's what I did, look the pic. :slap:

DeetaDeee, All I seen was red X's !!! :nutkick: So this time I clidked on thumbnails. I thiink I woulda cleaned that rust **** off too though. Its not bad yet, but I have heard of strikers falling out cuz of being sheetmetal being rusted out.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
DeetaDeee, All I seen was red X's !!! :nutkick: So this time I clidked on thumbnails. I thiink I woulda cleaned that rust **** off too though. Its not bad yet, but I have heard of strikers falling out cuz of being sheetmetal being rusted out.
It was just surface rust bubba, and I ran out of rust converter. I got to pick some up. I don;t know why they are showing as red x's because I used the URL image codes from this site to post the pics in the body of the post, what the hell? :think:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It was just surface rust bubba, and I ran out of rust converter. I got to pick some up. I don;t know why they are showing as red x's because I used the URL image codes from this site to post the pics in the body of the post, what the hell? :think:

I wouldn't have hit with rust converter. I think I'd have just cleaned off all I could, maybe even hit it with a brillo pad. It would have scratched the paint a little, but just cleaned it off and even hit it with clear paint to seal it.

DeetaDee bubba, you copied the address wrong. The site needs www. in front of the gmsqaurebody.com. I fixed one to try it out and find the problem and that was it. I always just copy the whole address of the pic host address then I know I got it right. :waytogo:

PS, I'd fix it for ya, but I want you to see what you did wrong. It'll take you 1 minute ti fix all of them, just add the www. like I did to the first one.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I wouldn't have hit with rust converter. I think I'd have just cleaned off all I could, maybe even hit it with a brillo pad. It would have scratched the paint a little, but just cleaned it off and even hit it with clear paint to seal it.

DeetaDee bubba, you copied the address wrong. The site needs www. in front of the gmsqaurebody.com. I fixed one to try it out and find the problem and that was it. I always just copy the whole address of the pic host address then I know I got it right. :waytogo:
I thought I did that, ok I will look next time. :handshake:

I was in a hurry yesterday, I wanted to get the boat out on the river. :grd:

mikespar

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Suburban 1500
Engine Size
I have just lost my backing plate (front passenger side)down inside the frame while removing the striker bolt. I also have an 89 GMC Suburban. I have almost got off the body panel, but I can't get off the bolt holding the passenger seat belt to access the lost plate. Is there a special trick to this so I don't lose something else down the frame?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I have just lost my backing plate (front passenger side)down inside the frame while removing the striker bolt. I also have an 89 GMC Suburban. I have almost got off the body panel, but I can't get off the bolt holding the passenger seat belt to access the lost plate. Is there a special trick to this so I don't lose something else down the frame?

Negative. Striker plate is only thing that falls down. Unless something is very rusty

mikespar

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Suburban 1500
Engine Size
mikespar

Thanks. Does anyone know if there is a torque spec for the bolt holding the seatbelt to the frame?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Thanks. Does anyone know if there is a torque spec for the bolt holding the seatbelt to the frame?

Just tight, it really doesn't matter HOW tight. With loctite on the threads, it ain't gonna loosen up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dob555