Door sticking out on bottom rear corners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

35thle

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hello
I am looking at a 1991 blazer that has had the full convertible swap done and when looking i noticed the bottom rear door is sticking out past the rear quarter panel on both driver and passenger side but the top of door is more flush so i do not think adjusting striker will help. Does this happen after time? Can this be adjusted? Or is it signs of some work that was performed incorrectly. Any help is appreciated

You must be registered for see images attach

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Your first picture shows that the body lines are not lined up. You may need to adjust the hinges to get everything back into shape. The other possibility is that a chinesium aftermarket door was used. Those are notorious for having fitment issues due to poor stamping quality.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
There's a third possibilty at play. and from the last picture it looks like maybe having the top chopped off has caused the body to bend in the middle. Have you by chance checked behind the seats and right in front of where the bed drops into the front seat area to inspect for rust? If there is rust in that area it is usually right near where the seatbelts normally post up. You can usually crawl underneath and see the rust if there is any, its hard to hide from the bottom. Will the owner allow you to take it for inspection? If so take a screw driver and poke at the floor and you can also tell by the sound (and if it goes through).

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Ya. I vote for a combination of those two. Crappy doors and then some genius hacked off the structural integrity.
:superhack:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I’m sure that heavy spare ain’t doing it any favors hanging off the back either.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
To be fair the 73 - 76 (or was the cutoff 75???) models never really had much more in the way of strength in the body but they had the floor joint further up towards the seat, which I don't think changed until 1981 so where the floor, door, sidewall connection was, may have been a bit stronger due to that , and the extra strength of the cab when they switched to the full cab might be why they finally moved the "footwell" back that 12 or so inches...

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Without seeing it in person, it's about impossible to say what's going on. One things a safe bet though, there's some hackery going on. Who paints a truck and leaves that kind of panel fitment?

The full top conversion happens all the time, and even amateurs pull it off with good results. Who knows what's going on here though.

35thle

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I grabbed the back of door when i was there, moved it up/down and could feel the play in the front door hinge pin or bushing sp i believe that is the body line issue but do not know much about why the bootom is pushed out or if it can be adjusted out. I looked underneath truck and did not see any rust but i did not look in the particular spot rpcraft mentioned, but it is a California truck and where i am located vehicles do not rust much and especially for it only being a 91 (i know there is still the possibility of being from a different area or rust though). Rpcraft what did you see in the last picture that makes you think the body bent? How could i check to make sure it has not? Thanks for the help everyone!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Even with the roof cut off, the body shouldn't be able to bend unless the frame is bent too.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Even with the roof cut off, the body shouldn't be able to bend unless the frame is bent too.

Kinda what I was thinking too.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I grabbed the back of door when i was there, moved it up/down and could feel the play in the front door hinge pin or bushing sp i believe that is the body line issue but do not know much about why the bootom is pushed out or if it can be adjusted out. I looked underneath truck and did not see any rust but i did not look in the particular spot rpcraft mentioned, but it is a California truck and where i am located vehicles do not rust much and especially for it only being a 91 (i know there is still the possibility of being from a different area or rust though). Rpcraft what did you see in the last picture that makes you think the body bent? How could i check to make sure it has not? Thanks for the help everyone!

I'm not just speaking of play in the hinges from wear. There's adjustment in where they bolt to the body, and to the door. This allows for a substantial amount of up, down, in, out adjustment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silverado9019