Dome light / horn fuse pops soon as I put one in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
So I'm kinda stumped on this one . Horn / dome light fuse pops soon as I put one in. I swapped the dome light for a 89 burban over head console it's in there right no wire touching or anything unplugged horns and over head console still pops . So im not sure where to go at this point any help ?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
If the problem didn't exist prior to the overhead console installation, it's a pretty safe bet that a wire was damaged during the process.

Isolate the dome/cargo lamp from the system. The wiring for that group runs up the B pillar and over to the fixtures.

Flip the drivers seat forward and reach into the B pillar cavity (under and behind where the speaker mounts). There should be a dual connector with orange and white wires. Disco that connector and then try a new fuse.

If it doesn't blow, you know there is a short to ground in the hot (orange) wire somewhere behind the pillar or in the double wall of the roof.

If you have a cargo lamp, the wires split off above the connector and head to their respective lamps.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
IIRC wo checking to make certain, I think the Cig lighter is on that circuit too. Do you buy chance have a defective Cig light plugged in and pushed in? If so, pull it out and try again.

But yeah, I'm w Chengny, if you recently did an overhead console, I'd sure be suspicious of that first and foremost.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
IIRC wo checking to make certain, I think the Cig lighter is on that circuit too. Do you buy chance have a defective Cig light plugged in and pushed in? If so, pull it out and try again.

But yeah, I'm w Chengny, if you recently did an overhead console, I'd sure be suspicious of that first and foremost.

Was just gonna say that....goin crazy trying to figure out the fuse situation, found out the kid stuck a penny in the cig lighter plug.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn:

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
Well It worked for a while ! After I did the over head console converison . Then like the other day when it was dark getting my drill out the truck I noticed it was out . But during the whole swap processs I haven't had any kinda issue with it until now. I pulled it down yesterday discontented it . Also the horns and it still pops ? Could it be something esle ? Mmm dang !! More and more gremlins !!!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I pulled it down yesterday discontented it

Did you disconnect the clip at the base of the pillar (behind the speaker) or only where you tied into the new overhead console?

If you disconnect the clip behind the speaker you will eliminate all the wiring from there to the point where you spliced as the cause of the problem.

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
I pulled it down yesterday discontented it

Did you disconnect the clip at the base of the pillar (behind the speaker) or only where you tied into the new overhead console?

If you disconnect the clip behind the speaker you will eliminate all the wiring from there to the point where you spliced as the cause of the problem.

It's a crew cab . So I don't know where your talking about I looked ! But only did it at the over head console ! But can you post up page 7&8 the engine alternator side ?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
See item no. 6 in the dwg. This shows a standard cab. The dome light wiring group may run up the middle door jam on a crew cab. I'd check the rear pillar first (behind the speaker). If it's not there assume it runs up the middle jam.

You must be registered for see images attach

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
FIXED !!! Thanks guys .. Well it was 2 problems . One problem was I guess when I swapped the Pedel assembly I guess I cut an broke a wire and it finally grounded out on the Pedel assembly . Then the other one was up top took my whole !! Head liner down to trace it down and then they did the speakers or something jumped off the 12v source back there to something that's no there any more and it always was in bad shape ! So thanks for all the help !!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Good job pulling the headliner and finding that. Goes to show you never know what you will find.

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
Yea true that . 26 years of redneck wiring experts so . I guess all if these older trucks have there eltrical issues . But this truck seems pretty unmelested as for all that stuff so so kinda good on that . Now all I need to do is figure out my my sending units arnt working:/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michaelmarine53