Distributor timing issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
Got one that I've personally never seen before so I thought I would run it past the Brainiacs here.

My 86 Sub is pretty much a stock 350 except for headers and true duals. It runs really well after I did a fresh carb rebuild with a Cliff Ruggles kit and a complete tune up.
My problem is that I can't adjust the timing. I can loosen and move the distributor when it's cold but after it warms to operating temp, it's frozen solid. It won't budge.
The timing is set somewhere around 12-14 BTDC. At least as close as I can estimate. The timing marks don't go that high. The vacuum and mechanical advances both are free and appear to be working fine. I also have a new VC1853 vacuum advance that I want to install as recommended by Rich Weyand in the pinned Ignition Timing thread from this forum. Unfortunately, that would really be tough to do if I can't time it.

It would just be nice to play around with the timing to see if I can get it to run any better than it is already.
Any of you guys ever hear of anything like this?
Thanks in advance.

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
So I played around with this thing a little bit more.
I changed out the vacuum can to the new VC1853 and figured I would have a limited amount of time to try setting the timing.
I had my vacuum gauge and timing light already setup and ready to go before starting it.
I started it cold and was able to adjust the timing for about three minutes before it seized up and I couldn't move the dizzy anymore.

I was able to verify that the way I was reading the timing marks was correct and it was indeed somewhere between 12 and 14 BTDC. Then I set the timing for the highest vacuum reading before it seized. Ironically enough now it looks as though its at least 16 degrees BTDC.

It warmed up good and I took it for a drive. It seemed to have a noticeably stronger off idle holeshot without pinging. I got into the secondaries a couple times and still got no pinging but the throttle response was definitely improved. It wasn't a long drive at all so I'll have to beat on it a little more before rendering final judgement but I like what I felt so far.

For a pretty much bone stock, old school 350 in a big ol' girl like this I must say that I'm impressed but I'll definitely keep you guys updated.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmballow02