Disc brake conversion doesn't have E brake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
I have an idea,a hydraulic arm with a wheel chock that swings down to the ground! Ok maybe I need some sleep:Insane:

Last edited:

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
you don't need a adjustable prop. valve I put one in for peace of mind but it didn't change the front to back percent like I thought in my head it was going to

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
@marks86

Thanks marks86. My brakes actually work right now pretty good I was getting ahead of myself thinking that if I put Cadillac caliper's and they were crappy like people were saying, then a prop valve might fix that issue. Kinda what you were probably thinking.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
Thanks marks86. My brakes actually work right now pretty good I was getting ahead of myself thinking that if I put Cadillac caliper's and they were crappy like people were saying, then a prop valve might fix that issue. Kinda what you were probably thinking.

haha exactly I wont ever forget it. it was winter time my rear brakes were locking up and I finally said ill put this god damn prop. valve on. It didn't take long but lets just say I wasn't happy at all when I went for a ride

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I have an idea,a hydraulic arm with a wheel chock that swings down to the ground! Ok maybe I need some sleep:Insane:

I've used a wheel chock tied to a rope, it works pretty well. My truck was a 5 speed and it was winter time, it was a pain when I wanted to leave work at the end of the day. I'd have to block the wheel, start the truck and let it thaw out, then when I wanted to leave, I had to pull forward and shut it off in gear so I could get back out and grab the chock. Then start it back up and drive away. Then one day I tied a rope to the chock and stuck the end of the rope in the truck when I started it. When I wanted to leave, all I had to do was pull forward, pull on the rope and then chuck the chock into the bed. Never had to leave the driver seat.

I also had a 5 speed Camaro that I kept a rock next to the driver seat. All I had to do was park the car facing downhill, open the door, then put the rock in front of the rear tire. When I left, I just backed up a little bit, grabbed the rock and stuck it back in the car, closed the door and drove off.

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
I like it! I like it a lot!

I think that's the best idea yet I actually have one behind my wheel right now. Doesn't quite solve the e-brake problem completely but it'll help. I'm gonna keep on trying to figure something out cause I won't be able to stop thinking about it until I solve the problem! I'll keep ya posted.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Around me, people learn the hard wway to NEVER EVER use their parking brake, because with our salt and rust, they will never release. I don't care how often you use the thing, it will freeze up if you keep using it around us. So, I never use them.. It's always funny to see people who don't come from around here move here, and use their parking brake, maybe it will work fine the first year, but ha ha, eventually, they have a locked up set of wheels, and are stuck... Have I mentioned how much I hate salt being put on roads?

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
Around me, people learn the hard wway to NEVER EVER use their parking brake, because with our salt and rust, they will never release. I don't care how often you use the thing, it will freeze up if you keep using it around us. So, I never use them.. It's always funny to see people who don't come from around here move here, and use their parking brake, maybe it will work fine the first year, but ha ha, eventually, they have a locked up set of wheels, and are stuck... Have I mentioned how much I hate salt being put on roads?
I hear ya Christian, I'm originally from Minnesota and I've lived in Wisconsin. My first truck was a rust bucket but it had a great motor! I do believe that California on the other hand has a law that I would need to have a functioning e-brake but they don't do inspections as far as I know.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Nope, no inspections in Cali. I actually wish they did after seeing some of the junk that came through the smog test station. We had cars come in that weren't safe to run at 40 mph on the dyno, much less so out on the street. My favorite was the guy that drove in sitting on an orange crate with vice grips clamped on where the steering wheel was supposed to be. He couldn't understand why we refused to test his car.

Back on topic: Just because you can get by without an e-brake doesn't make it a good idea.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
I hear ya Christian, I'm originally from Minnesota and I've lived in Wisconsin. My first truck was a rust bucket but it had a great motor! I do believe that California on the other hand has a law that I would need to have a functioning e-brake but they don't do inspections as far as I know.

What on earth possessed your mind to move to Cali?? I know the weather is ok, but you couldn't pay me enough to move there!!! WAY too much meddling form the gov't.. Smog test???? LOL!! Jeeze, leave people alone for crying out loud!! I think I have driven for at least 20 years without EVER needing an Ebrake..

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
If you want to jump on the govt. meddling bandwagon you can start with your own state of Wisconsin. Smog testing is required in the counties of Kenosha, Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Racine, Sheboygan, Washington and Waukesha.

How long before the rest of the state is testing?

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
If you want to jump on the govt. meddling bandwagon you can start with your own state of Wisconsin. Smog testing is required in the counties of Kenosha, Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Racine, Sheboygan, Washington and Waukesha.

How long before the rest of the state is testing?

I hope never, since all they are is a big money grab. Even MN figured that out, and repealed it, since it made ZERO ZILCH NARY a difference in smog levels..

People should know this practice is absolutely, completely, worthless and useless for controlling pollution levels. It funnels $$ into certain people's hands, and persecutes the poor because they tend to drive older cars..

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
What on earth possessed your mind to move to Cali?? I know the weather is ok, but you couldn't pay me enough to move there!!! WAY too much meddling form the gov't.. Smog test???? LOL!! Jeeze, leave people alone for crying out loud!! I think I have driven for at least 20 years without EVER needing an Ebrake..

I was born in MN and grew up in CA. Believe me I love both places. If I could own a house in both states I would. I have to say though that I've lived in a few different states and I always come back to CA. I have family in both MN & CA but my home now in CA is about 5 minutes from the beach and about 10 minutes from the mountains. I live in a small town but I can be in a major city in a matter of 45 min to an hour. Also I live about an hour away from Hollister Ca where they hold the Top Truck Challenge which means 4 wheelin fun for me!

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
I hear ya!

Nope, no inspections in Cali. I actually wish they did after seeing some of the junk that came through the smog test station. We had cars come in that weren't safe to run at 40 mph on the dyno, much less so out on the street. My favorite was the guy that drove in sitting on an orange crate with vice grips clamped on where the steering wheel was supposed to be. He couldn't understand why we refused to test his car.

Back on topic: Just because you can get by without an e-brake doesn't make it a good idea.

I do tires for a living so I see all kinds of vehicles everyday that make me wonder how they're even on the road! I still plan on figuring out what I'm going to do about the e-brake cause I know I'll need it sooner or later.....most likely on a hill when I'm needing to get out and lock my hubs! It just makes good sense!!!!!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I do tires for a living so I see all kinds of vehicles everyday that make me wonder how they're even on the road! I still plan on figuring out what I'm going to do about the e-brake cause I know I'll need it sooner or later.....most likely on a hill when I'm needing to get out and lock my hubs! It just makes good sense!!!!!

If you go to the parts store their gonna give you reman Eldorado/Cadillac calipers. They wont work for very long. BUT... if you pay 3 times as much and get a set of brand new calipers from GM then they should last a lot longer.

My E brake has been working great for 10 years. Cause I never use it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus