Did i just fry my 700r4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84k20Northern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Long story short i just put a winters aluminum intake and holley 4150 in my c20. My TV cable was too short to let the throttle go to wide open, and since the truck isnt on the road i figured itd be okay to disconnect it as long as i wasnt going on the road with it. I must have been wrong because when i started it and put it into gear i only had reverse and 5 minutes later i now have no gears at all... oops

84k20Northern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Would i be able to pull it out and zip tie it in the fully extended position to get full pressures? Truck isnt going to be on the road for a few years anyway juat need it to move around the property

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I have been driving around for the past 2 years without the TV cable connected. Always pulling a 3->5k trailer, but I do drive like grandpa...

(Previous owner disconnected the TVC when he installed a new Edelbrock carburetor.)

Just located my loose TVC, will hook it back up next week. Yes, it is bad juju to drive without the TV hooked up, but I don't seen how you could have smoked your 700R4 just putting around the yard without it..

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
I have been driving around for the past 2 years without the TV cable connected. Always pulling a 3->5k trailer, but I do drive like grandpa...

(Previous owner disconnected the TVC when he installed a new Edelbrock carburetor.)

Just located my loose TVC, will hook it back up next week. Yes, it is bad juju to drive without the TV hooked up, but I don't seen how you could have smoked your 700R4 just putting around the yard without it..

this is just to hard for me to believe. the TV cable is what controls the pressure of the 700r4 if you tried to tow anything with it you would have a burnt transmission in a very short period of time

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
^^^^^^ x2

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Some reason I remember there being some sort of faill safe if the cable popped loose some how. in the event it happened the driver wouldn't loose a trans.
Still. ... it ain't right! and should not become a common practice. I'm positive it will eventually cause the trans to fail...

Sent from the dust in front of you!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
No, just around the yard and 5 minutes, I don't think the TV cable not being hooked up is the problem. And usually when a trans goes from not having the TV cable hooked up, USUALLY, it's the 3/4 clutch pack that goes first so you'd at least still have 1st and 2nd in that case. Something else went wrong. Hard to say what though. If you have reverse, you're getting fluid pressure obviously or you'd have nothing at all. And you're saying NO gears at all? Not even 1st so it won't go forward?

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
84k20Northern, sooner or later you will need to get your TV hooked up. Attached is a really good instruction sheet. Good luck!

Attachments

• 700r4 cable adjustment instructions.pdf
    97.8 KB · Views: 400

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Some reason I remember there being some sort of faill safe if the cable popped loose some how. in the event it happened the driver wouldn't loose a trans.
Still. ... it ain't right! and should not become a common practice. I'm positive it will eventually cause the trans to fail...

Sent from the dust in front of you!

X3 !!! That's the fastest way to burn up the transmission. They work in unison with the shifting and engagement.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ta1nt3d