Deleting the Catalytic Converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@Mango you’ll have to excuse the Nancies in this thread. They’re generally not like this, but idk, something recently seems to get them all steered up about cats. It’s kinda weird….”ohhhh you’ll get nauseous and die….” Lol
Gimme a break.
Run em don’t run em, who cares….every single one of these trucks is an antique now. If you like sniffing your tailpipe and want it to smell good, good for you. If you don’t want the money or hassle involved (like most) then good for you.
If it runs fine with an old cat in it and the exhaust is still in one piece, I wouldn’t touch it. You’d just be making unnecessary work and expense for yourself.

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
I scrapped a pellet cat from my son's '93 C1500 last fall and got 50 bucks for it.
$50?! Wow those prices fell a lot lately! Like 2 or 3 years ago my tiny flimsy cat from a 2004 WRX was worth like $800 or so in scrap metal!

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
$50?! Wow those prices fell a lot lately! Like 2 or 3 years ago my tiny flimsy cat from a 2004 WRX was worth like $800 or so in scrap metal!
Guessing a WRX cat prolly has more stuffs in it than a '93 cheby pick em up truck :shrug:

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
Hey All
I still have the original Cat on my 89 Burb 350 188.000 miles what happens if I take it off? Back pressure issues? MILPG? No Emissions in Wyoming

Thanks
Yes, it can be removed, as long as it is true that you don't have smog checks. You will have less back pressure, so potentially more top end.

Mike

Steppin Razor

Reaction score
First Name
S
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 silverado
Engine Size
There is nothing inherently wrong with having a modern cat, if my truck had a new high flow cat on it I wouldn't cut it off for the sake of doing so. But the old pellet cats from '89 are junk, heavy and restrictive. Yes, new style ones aren't bad, but they're not free either. Taking a sawzall to your old cat IS free.. just saying. So there is value in itself, getting the old junk off without paying for expensive new ones. If someone gave me modern high flow cats for free I would not throw them out, but I sure as hell wouldn't spend a dollar of my hard earned money on them, especially since there is no performance gain to having them. They're not restrictive like the old ones, but it doesn't do anything to benefit you either, so might as well save the money and just do the ole chop chop...
They do benefit me, and it seems the new ones can be had for a reasonable price. My truck is not a race truck. It isn't fast and it will never be fast (and doesn't currently have the original cat on it as it stands), so I don't care about performance gains. That said, there's no wrong answer, only individual choices. I definitely would not recommend cutting one off and just dumping the exhaust right there, so cutting it off doesn't mean $0 spent.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I remember in the early 80s, you could buy a cheater pipe with the same flanges and length as the cat from the Auto Parts stores.
You had to tell them you were travelling to Mexico, since they weren't selling unleaded in most places there yet.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
They do benefit me, and it seems the new ones can be had for a reasonable price. My truck is not a race truck. It isn't fast and it will never be fast (and doesn't currently have the original cat on it as it stands), so I don't care about performance gains. That said, there's no wrong answer, only individual choices. I definitely would not recommend cutting one off and just dumping the exhaust right there, so cutting it off doesn't mean $0 spent.
So go out to the scrap pile and grab a random piece of pipe and stick it in there. I still don't see where this money is coming from, unless of course you're talking about the 4 cents my electric bill will go up by using a sawzall for 3 minutes. Even if you have never owned other vehicles so you don't have spare parts laying around and you have to buy a foot long section of 3" pipe, okay what is that $10? A new cat is probably $100 at least. Yeah I'll keep the $90, I value that more than the pat on the back I can give myself for being "green". :rolleyes:

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Don't forget to add a K&N!
Dang! 50 bucks? A gram of Platinum is around 50 bucks right now..I wonder how much is in a modern convertor?

You must be registered for see images attach
Times might have changed with the price of everything fluctuating, but 2-3 years ago I brought in two of the cats from my Subaru. One was the main cat and the other was a little dinky thing that was a pre-cat or post-cat or whatever the damn thing was. I got almost $700 for the pair. a few years ago before that, pellet cats were worth about $20 as well as aftermarket cats, and more modern ones were maybe $100 a pop at most. I threw the pellet cat from my Suburban in with plain steel years ago because the scrap yard I went to said it wasn't worth anything but its weight. Not sure what they go for now because I haven't gutted anything lately, but probably still quite a bit more than they were

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Times might have changed with the price of everything fluctuating, but 2-3 years ago I brought in two of the cats from my Subaru. One was the main cat and the other was a little dinky thing that was a pre-cat or post-cat or whatever the damn thing was. I got almost $700 for the pair. a few years ago before that, pellet cats were worth about $20 as well as aftermarket cats, and more modern ones were maybe $100 a pop at most. I threw the pellet cat from my Suburban in with plain steel years ago because the scrap yard I went to said it wasn't worth anything but its weight. Not sure what they go for now because I haven't gutted anything lately, but probably still quite a bit more than they were
the early gmt400 pellet cats arent worth crap today as far as i know, just like aftermarkets... but thats also partly due to the meth-head theft invasion. Hence the new laws/requirements for info you need to scrap a cat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3dbello