dash/taillight fuse keeps blowing, please help !!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
84 K10.
The fuse for dash lights, courtesy interior lights, (no dome lamp) and taillights keeps blowing, and it's a strong arc when a new fuse is installed.
I have the harness to the rear lights disconnected, the headlight switch disconnected, the dash & gauges are out and disconnected, ignition switch disconnected.
But it still blows the fuse as soon as I try to install a new one.
I'm having a hard time tracking down this gremlin.
Can anybody help me with some advice where to look next?
Everything else on the truck works fine and fuses are good for all the other circuits.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
Problem solved.
Feel free to scratch your heads figuring this one out.
WEIRD as it may be, but then again, weird unexplainable things happen here all the time.
The stories I could tell would send shivers down your spine.
My helper started looking at all the orange wires, fixtures of underdash lights, connectors, etc.
Keep in mind the underdash courtesy lights have been working perfectly for years, zero issues.
When he removed a bulb, we found the short circuit, there is a strand of wire from the center connector to the shell.
I installed a new fuse in the fuseblock, and it didn't blow.
Question is, HOW the heck did it get there suddenly and out of the clear blue sky ??
You must be registered for see images attach

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Problem solved.
Feel free to scratch your heads figuring this one out.
WEIRD as it may be, but then again, weird unexplainable things happen here all the time.
The stories I could tell would send shivers down your spine.
My helper started looking at all the orange wires, fixtures of underdash lights, connectors, etc.
Keep in mind the underdash courtesy lights have been working perfectly for years, zero issues.
When he removed a bulb, we found the short circuit, there is a strand of wire from the center connector to the shell.
I installed a new fuse in the fuseblock, and it didn't blow.
Question is, HOW the heck did it get there suddenly and out of the clear blue sky ??

Hmm, you might want to ask your "helper" friend that very question. Is he possibly looking for a deal on a good truck?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MenDeeZee