customs door handles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

belowaveragecustoms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 short bed 2wd
Engine Size
gona see if anyone had any ideas that they wnated to share. i am not a big fan of the stock door handles on my truck but i dont just want to shave them. trying to find some off another vehicle or some aftermarket ones that would look good. if anyone has any ideas let me know. thanks

belowaveragecustoms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 short bed 2wd
Engine Size
yeah i watched that episode its kinda what made me wana do somethin different. not a big fan of the handles they used but i like idea. i have been looking at the ones on the new 2010 silverado's not sure if they would look good or not tho.

greencountry05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Skinny
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
I think I've seen C5 Corvette handles on a squarebody before. Can't remember if it looked good or not.

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If you are looking for more a modified stock look, you can check out some of the first gen camaro aftermarket offerings. Both Ring Brothers and Fesler offer billet aluminum door handles. They won't be a true bolt on for your truck, but you can make them work about as easily as most anything else. The Ring Brothers version is especially nice.

http://www.feslerbuilt.com
http://www.ringbrothers.com

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
The C5 door handle look might look pretty cool if done right! My wife's uncle has a 73 that he's had for like 28 years and has redone many, many times (he's a body man by trade). This latest iteration he has door handles from an 88-98 C/K. It looks alright but he plans on going back to stock handles the next time he tears the truck apart again to redo. Personally, I love the stock handles and it might be hard to find another handle to look good on a square body.

greencountry05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Skinny
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
If you are looking for more a modified stock look, you can check out some of the first gen camaro aftermarket offerings. Both Ring Brothers and Fesler offer billet aluminum door handles. They won't be a true bolt on for your truck, but you can make them work about as easily as most anything else. The Ring Brothers version is especially nice.

http://www.feslerbuilt.com
http://www.ringbrothers.com

Both of those are sweet, especially the black anodized one from Fesler....but GOOD LORD THAT'S A LOTAA' MONEY!

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I'm considering going the OBS route with my exterior door handles. I'm pretty sure that patch panels for the door handle area are easy enough to come by through places such as Auto Body Specialties.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
I'm considering going the OBS route with my exterior door handles. I'm pretty sure that patch panels for the door handle area are easy enough to come by through places such as Auto Body Specialties.

Where are you going to mount them? My wife's uncle put them just right below the body line. Looks ok but IMO a little too low but I'm not sure where else they could go considering the curve of the body prior to that line.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Where are you going to mount them? My wife's uncle put them just right below the body line. Looks ok but IMO a little too low but I'm not sure where else they could go considering the curve of the body prior to that line.

When the idea first popped into my head, I was thinking of putting them right below the body line, with the top of the handle being roughly 3/4" below the body line.

Keep in mind, I have yet to actually get the hardware in my hands to even attempt a test fit yet. I don't know if the bucket is small enough to fit above the body line or not. Something tells me that the bucket would be too deep to allow window movement if it were placed closer to the stock position.

I tend to think that the more stylish handles, such as the Taurus handles in the video example, would not look right. As boxy as these trucks are, any replacement handle needs to be equally boxy.

If I had the metal fab and electrical skills needed, I'd love to try and work newer Corvette handles into the doors. I like the not quite shaved idea.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
When the idea first popped into my head, I was thinking of putting them right below the body line, with the top of the handle being roughly 3/4" below the body line.....

This is almost identical to where my wife's uncle has his on his 73. I might see him in two weeks at a family function. If I do I'll try and take a pic of it for you.

I think you are probably right about mounting them up higher with the deep bucket. I'll be interested to read about what you come up with once you have the parts in your hand. Thinking outside the box is always good IMO.

belowaveragecustoms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 short bed 2wd
Engine Size
thanks for all the posts. if anyone see's or has any pics of any truck with them done post them up.

belowaveragecustoms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 short bed 2wd
Engine Size
i found a set of handles off a 68 nova at the salvage yard for $10 that are in great shape that im thinkin about goin with. not sure how it would look tho

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
i found a set of handles off a 68 nova at the salvage yard for $10 that are in great shape that im thinkin about goin with. not sure how it would look tho

If they are anything like the ones on my 71 Nova, it would be a subtle mod, but, the rounded handles on a square truck might be out of place.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus