Crate engine swap advise please?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yes I know they can be run with a carb but thanks :handshake: just not sure why you would when fuel injection is light years better

Well for starters you can run an LS engine with out an ECM aside from the ignition module. That's actually a big thing! And for some its very attractive. Some guys just like a simple carb instead of a laptop:)

Then there is the fact that your stock throttle cable works with no issues as well as a TV cable.

If you need a TPS then run the 750 Street Demon with its TPS set up. That's a solid little carb and TPS system.

And a port matched carb intake on an LS motor is not gonna be a lacking engine. EFI vs Carb for peak HP is almost a dead even draw. EFI has its benefits for sure! But its not like your losing big HP by running the carb.

Im not saying everyone should go out and run a carbed LS! All I am saying is that a carbed LS is actually a very viable option. And it is definitely an upgrade over a gen I or II SBC

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:roflbow: you entertain me with your "Well for starters...." like you're about to give me new information :rofl: I'll just chalk this up to a "to each his own" category as everyone has their own preferences and opinions. I have a feeling that even if I went through the trouble to share my viewpoint to moving to fuel injection you'd have some retort and nothing would really be accomplished.

73 C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
:roflbow: you entertain me with your "Well for starters...." like you're about to give me new information :rofl: I'll just chalk this up to a "to each his own" category as everyone has their own preferences and opinions. I have a feeling that even if I went through the trouble to share my viewpoint to moving to fuel injection you'd have some retort and nothing would really be accomplished.

Are you saying I could turn the key on a EFI LS with headers for $3000? How many HP?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA

Well that's interesting.....for someone Im sure! Apparently you cant accept the fact that the OP wants to stay carbureted. For the OP who wants to stay carbureted Im sure that is relevant info.

:doublepuke: :flipthebird:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Are you saying I could turn the key on a EFI LS with headers for $3000? How many HP?

If you scoured CL you could find one pretty easily. The 5.3 is pretty common so you can get those for anywhere between $400 to $1000 for the whole shebang. What you spend after that depends on condition of the motor to start with and what may or may not need done with it. The 4.8s are cheaper mainly because most people don't want them but they are still a very good motor to DD.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Well that's interesting.....for someone Im sure! Apparently you cant accept the fact that the OP wants to stay carbureted. For the OP who wants to stay carbureted Im sure that is relevant info.

:doublepuke: :flipthebird:

I'm just giving the OP other options. If he wants to stay carb'd then that's his choice. At least he has the info and knows his options. Thanks for the feedback, kiddo :waytogo:

73 C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
OP... Look at buying the long block for $1500 and swap in a better cam before doing anything else. A Summit cam can be had for under $100, bringing your total in under $1600. Everything else from your truck will bolt up to it. Some carb re-tuning will be required, but that is about it.

I like this, but I would like to have a warranty.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
:sleepy10:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
I like this, but I would like to have a warranty.

I may be wrong but I think the long block crates may come with some sort of warranty. :shrug: don't quote me on that, though.

Last edited:

73 C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If you scoured CL you could find one pretty easily. The 5.3 is pretty common so you can get those for anywhere between $400 to $1000 for the whole shebang. What you spend after that depends on condition of the motor to start with and what may or may not need done with it. The 4.8s are cheaper mainly because most people don't want them but they are still a very good motor to DD.

So who does the work and who teaches me how to use a laptop? I'm not kidding. How many HP $2500?

73 C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I may be wrong but I think the long block crates may come with some sort or warranty. :shrug: don't quote me on that, though. Obviously that warranty would only cover the block itself at that point so take that for what it's worth lol

I thought it would be void if I put the cam he suggested in.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
So who does the work and who teaches me how to use a laptop? I'm not kidding. How many HP $2500?

There's a ton of info on this site for putting an LS motor into a square body. So as far as getting it in and hooked up I'm confident that could be done by you if you have some mechanical ability or maybe know someone who can assist. As far as tuning it for you there are a few options. If doing it yourself you'll want to get the EFI Live software loaded along with the cables and learn how to do the tune. Not sure on those costs or how hard it is to learn EFI Live but I've heard of many people going this route. If it's me? I contact someone like Blackbear Performance or a tuner local to you if you'd rather work with someone local and have them tune it for you. I'm not sure where you're located but most major cities and suburbs of cities have a shop in town that can tune a LS motor. The cost of someone doing it for you will be in the $250-500 range.

As far as HP numbers there's really too many variables to take into account to say with absolute certainty but I'd say 225 is the absolute low end of the spectrum. I'd guess it'd be more like the 250-275 range assuming you stay mostly stock and don't spend money on many upgrades

68post

very, VERY, limited access member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
84 K30 SRW Silverado, 85 C20 C6P
Engine Size
454, TBD
Crate engines for street duty always have a warranty. The GM ones do - if they are installed into their intended year range and type of vehicle.
That info is in the warranty.

That said , I'd buy the GM vortec crate or the Blueprint 383 - but that's just me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB