Cranks but wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve123

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Good morning all. I am having a start problem. Specs; 350, HEI distributor. Some background; I had my engine (350) rebuilt to a small block, I put the lifters, heads and intake on myself. The engine turns over but will not fire. Occasionally it will backfire but never really tries to catch. What I've tried and symptoms:

1. Checked initial timing, put engine to TDC (checked by valve position and verifying that the piston was at TDC. then put to 12 degrees BTCD). Pointed rotor cap at spark plug number 1.
2. When trying to start, after a few times fire can be seen coming out of the headers (Don't have all of the exhaust connected, just the headers). I assume this means it getting enough gas but not igniting.
3. Verified spark, connected spark plug tester and could see the arc.
4. When I installed the lifters I coated them with a light coat of oil, but I have been reading they might be stuck. They were new lifters I got from the engine shop.

any help or directions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

climb-101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
seth
Truck Year
Truck Model
c2 crew cab
Engine Size
6.0 LS
make sure the power wire for the distributor isn’t hooked to a power wire that shuts off when cranking. some of them do then turn back on when the key is let off causing it to backfire.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Have you verified correct spark plug wire routing? I know I’m the guy that’ll mess it up if I’m not careful.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alysco