Coolant boil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hi,
So when i recently did an intake manifold gasket & heater core on my 83 k10 with a 350
Before i would shut the truck off, and the temp gauge wouldnt really go above 200 at all

Now, it goes up to 215 wqhen off, start it up and it cools down

The only problem i have with this is that it causes the coolant to boil, and a little comes out the overflow... enough that after a month or so i have to fill it with a bit more coolant

What could this be/how could i fix this?

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Your overflow tube isn't going into a coolant recovery tank?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Just curious why you are monitoring the engine temp after shutdown to begin with?

A faulty rad cap can cause it to boil over. Are you running coolant/water or just water?

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
You should have a recovery bottle. That way when the coolant gets hot and expands it can leave the radiator and be collected. Then as the engine and radiator cool back down it can be drawn back up inside the radiator.

And as Bucket said a 50/50 mix of coolant and water (preferably distilled water) is best.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Just curious why you are monitoring the engine temp after shutdown to begin with?

A faulty rad cap can cause it to boil over. Are you running coolant/water or just water?

Just because i noticed a difference, plus when i start it up i usually wait a minute before driving away to let it cool off, what would you say is too high to drive it at?

And, i had a old dish soap bottle someone put in there, i assumed it was just so coolant didnt drop to the ground, but now i understand it gets sucked back up so ill put it back, may solve my problem

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Just because i noticed a difference, plus when i start it up i usually wait a minute before driving away to let it cool off, what would you say is too high to drive it at?

And, i had a old dish soap bottle someone put in there, i assumed it was just so coolant didnt drop to the ground, but now i understand it gets sucked back up so ill put it back, may solve my problem

Look for a factory bottle that sits on the passenger inner wheel well. 88-91 burbs, crew cabs and blazers have these. While your there steal the large wiper reservoir with the reservoir mounted motor. Both are a good upgrade over what you have.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

You need something that is a closed bottle so it can create a vacuum. Go to Napa if you have one and pickup a universal washer fluid/coolant bottle. I paid $20 for mine.

It will look like this and all I did was mount it in my stock location and hooked up the overflow hose to the bottom of the tank.

You must be registered for see images attach

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
You need something that is a closed bottle so it can create a vacuum. Go to Napa if you have one and pickup a universal washer fluid/coolant bottle. I paid $20 for mine.

It will look like this and all I did was mount it in my stock location and hooked up the overflow hose to the bottom of the tank.

You must be registered for see images attach

I don't think you want a closed bottle. And I don,t think you want to create a vacuum. You do want a container that won't be easily contaminated and that can breath but not allow the coolant to splash out all over. There are a lot of options and the dish soap bottle with a cap drilled just the right size for the hose will work just as well as if you spent $50.00 on another container. Either way you do want a catch can on it.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I don't think you want a closed bottle. And I don,t think you want to create a vacuum. You do want a container that won't be easily contaminated and that can breath but not allow the coolant to splash out all over. There are a lot of options and the dish soap bottle with a cap drilled just the right size for the hose will work just as well as if you spent $50.00 on another container. Either way you do want a catch can on it.

All coolant bottles on modern vehicles are a closed unit. A hose usually attaches to the top which then feeds a hose underneath to the bottom of the coolant bottle. This allows the coolant to be spewed into the bottle the siphoned back out once the vehicle cools down.

While this doesn't have that setup it does feed and push the coolant out the bottom and how it should work.

If your coolant bottle isn't closed then it spews coolant onto the ground which is NOT good or safe.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
All coolant bottles on modern vehicles are a closed unit. A hose usually attaches to the top which then feeds a hose underneath to the bottom of the coolant bottle. This allows the coolant to be spewed into the bottle the siphoned back out once the vehicle cools down.

While this doesn't have that setup it does feed and push the coolant out the bottom and how it should work.

If your coolant bottle isn't closed then it spews coolant onto the ground which is NOT good or safe.

That's because most modern vehicles don't have a radiator cap per-say. In this case you just need to be sure the volume of the container is greater than the volume pushed out of the system by expansion so it doesn't overflow. The radiator cap is like a check valve/pressure relief valve allowing anything over say 15# out but allowing it to draw in anytime the system pressure is below the atmospheric pressure. and the catch container on these trucks needs to be vented.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That's because most modern vehicles don't have a radiator cap per-say. In this case you just need to be sure the volume of the container is greater than the volume pushed out of the system by expansion so it doesn't overflow. The radiator cap is like a check valve/pressure relief valve allowing anything over say 15# out but allowing it to draw in anytime the system pressure is below the atmospheric pressure. and the catch container on these trucks needs to be vented.

That container can still vent its not a completely closed system in the sense that nothing can escape.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
That container can still vent its not a completely closed system in the sense that nothing can escape.

yes it can vent but it is a pressure vessel with a pressure relieving cap much like a radiator cap. The difference being it vents and returns air rather than coolant and there is a certain amount of expansion volume engineered into it as well.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
yes it can vent but it is a pressure vessel with a pressure relieving cap much like a radiator cap. The difference being it vents and returns air rather than coolant and there is a certain amount of expansion volume engineered into it as well.

No it doesn't have a pressure relieving cap. It has a cap just like a pop bottle or the soap bottle; If coolant wants to spray it'll spray.

My overflow jug is show and is missing the cap and its difficult to find that stuff used where I am. This was a cheap $20 fix and it works awesome and hasn't caused me any grief.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
No it doesn't have a pressure relieving cap. It has a cap just like a pop bottle or the soap bottle; If coolant wants to spray it'll spray.

My overflow jug is show and is missing the cap and its difficult to find that stuff used where I am. This was a cheap $20 fix and it works awesome and hasn't caused me any grief.

I think we are essentially saying the same thing but with different terms. The jug you pictured would work really well for the application. Sorry if i misinterpreted what you were saying. Good discussion either way.
:gathering::cheers:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squareframe