Cold snap starts shift issues on 700R4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Thanks for the input. I think that is exactly what is happening. TV cable or valve is sticking when it gets too cold out.

If that is the problem, the fix is in the jr shift kit and involves dropping a valve body. There is a spring and a metal stop that goes inside the assambly of the valve.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
How's Silvy doing now?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Your TV Cable is frozen and/or stuck Dawg. Without doubt, that's the problem. You have ALL the classic symptoms. And it appears it's stuck pulled out and also affecting your high idle. To get by, disconnect it. YOU KNOW this can hurt your trans, BUT, I know you live close to work, and just do light throttle take offs and do not do any full throttle jabs and you'll be fine until you get it fixed. You're only going around the block right?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Your TV Cable is frozen and/or stuck Dawg. Without doubt, that's the problem. You have ALL the classic symptoms. And it appears it's stuck pulled out and also affecting your high idle. To get by, disconnect it. YOU KNOW this can hurt your trans, BUT, I know you live close to work, and just do light throttle take offs and do not do any full throttle jabs and you'll be fine until you get it fixed. You're only going around the block right?

Wouldn't I feel the cable binding in the pedal? I'm thinking the valve itself is hanging up and not returning. I can get used swapped in for 800 and I am checking out leads on a new unit from some sources. Also looking into maybe putting the transgo kit in and change filleted and see what happens. You think I can get by until spring and just unhook the cable and shift manually? Just need to make it until tax return time.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
It will not shift manually at lower rpm if valve is stuck. It is two-three hours of work and $80 to fix it if it is sticking valve. Drop the pan/filter, then the detent followed by some wiring and the valve body. Keep track of all the balls, replace the sticking valve with parts from the kit and back together with new gaskets and/or seperator plate and a filter.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
It will not shift manually at lower rpm if valve is stuck. It is two-three hours of work and $80 to fix it if it is sticking valve. Drop the pan/filter, then the detent followed by some wiring and the valve body. Keep track of all the balls, replace the sticking valve with parts from the kit and back together with new gaskets and/or seperator plate and a filter.

I'm just worried about putting new fluid back in this thing grenades on me.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Oh as an update i put Lucas additive in it and it seemed to help but I know the clock is ticking. Also been keeping it in 3rd gear when possible.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:console:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
As Viktor mentioned, if the valve itself is stuck, it won't shift at low rpms because the valve is telling the transmission you're at higher open throttle. IF it's the cable that is holding the valve open, then disconnecting the cable should let the valve go back to idle position. No you may not feel binding in the throttle. If the cable is holding the valve open, you won't feel it at all.
Remember, the TV valve also regulates fluid pressure on the 700r4, higher throttle, means higher fluid pressure. So if you do disconnect it, then you need to drive it with only light throttle take offs and such, because without the higher fluid pressure holding the clutch packs tighter, they will slip, overheat and trash the trans in short order. With slow gradual take offs and slowly building speed you may be OK.
But what if it is just a stuck TV valve or bad cable? What if changing the cable or freeing the stuck valve fixes the problem and you don't need a complete build? Did I miss something or forget something buddy? The trans isn't slipping now right? Just having shift point issues right? How does the fluid look now? Is it pretty red or a tad dark red? So long as it's not dirty brown or burnt, new fluid most likely isn't going to hurt a thing and might help. That myth that new fluid kills transmissions is only on wore out or poorly maintained transmissions. It's that most people when they start getting a slip issue, they think changing the fluid will fix it, and in fact it kills what little is left in the transmission. That is true. But if you current fluid is mostly red and not a burnt brown or black I'd say the new trans fluid is going to be just fine.
So if you need to drop the pan to the check the TV Valve and/or replace the cable to fix the problem, then go for it. It would be great if a new $20 cable fixed the problem and the trans is fine.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Thanks for the responses and info guys. Much appreciated.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Scanned the instructions for the Transgo 700 JR kit:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 120
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 105
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 110

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

DONE. Thank you.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Anybody know what size the pan bolts are? I lost one in the frosty grass in the back yard doing this project tonight. :D

I know it is a 13mm socket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76