cnc chamber vs compression and boost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Trying to decide on better pathway. Can get 100cc head that would keep 9.9:1 compression on a bbc. Plan for 20psi of boost eventually. Or get a cnc chamber option that would have to be 110cc chamber resulting about 9:1 compression.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
If you plan on the boost, I vote the 9:1 head would be better, seems like 20psi on 9:1 would put it at like, 20:1 dyn c/r , where as the 9.9 would be closer to 23:1

Obviously I'm sure you've already done the math

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
You said details concerning machined 110cc chambered heads... I'm curious... are you looking at the promaxx heads? I was investigating the same heads for when I decide to put a little boost to my big block.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
This is on a brodix race-rite heads. My thought even with 9.9:1 it should still be reasonable under boost while providing a bit better off boost. Bumping compression up a bit, will gain some power. Going with lower compression but cnc chamber would then be a wash and not worth extra cost to cnc.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Interested to know what you're running this in, I know it's off the topic.

Grumpy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
This is on a brodix race-rite heads. My thought even with 9.9:1 it should still be reasonable under boost while providing a bit better off boost. Bumping compression up a bit, will gain some power. Going with lower compression but cnc chamber would then be a wash and not worth extra cost to cnc.
If possible, I would contact Brodix themselves for their input - it can never hurt.

Given the choice, I would always go for the CNC heads. Forced air only helps with the volume of air, the CNC chambers are what make everything equal from cylinder to cylinder, and this is important for smooth power production.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
^ not to mention flow, the 3d machined contours will flow better than cast

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Brodix tech were essentially saying that it makes not much difference and might as well keep chamber smaller. I was somewhat thinking if larger chamber would help with air flow around the valve.
If possible, I would contact Brodix themselves for their input - it can never hurt.

Given the choice, I would always go for the CNC heads. Forced air only helps with the volume of air, the CNC chambers are what make everything equal from cylinder to cylinder, and this is important for smooth power production.

Grumpy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Larger chambers to increase flow around the valve has not been a concern since the 1980s, when the design of the chambers really came into its own. A larger chamber is simply a larger chamber these days. Your best option when picking out parts for your build are to keep the piston top as flat as possible to optimize quench. Yes, a smaller chamber will make it easier to increase compression, and most modern combustion chambers are superior to anything from the sixties (as it should.)

Dome pistons, large chambers and much of the fancy stuff is not normally the realm of us who don't live on the race track - those guys are creating purpose-built engines, and they spend hours and days just sorting out which valve to use on the intake or exhaust for their particular combination.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Actually, I am starting to fall back to lower compression ratio just to keep things easier. Would allow to run 87 at first, and then run premium once boost is added.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub