Cluster Refurb - What are options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I think Ive decided id like to refurb a cluster rather than buy one, even if it costs more. I have a few questions:

1) Can the speedo be replaced with one of similar or same design but not mechanical, but rather GPS? I dont want to limit my gearing or tire options at all and want accuracy.
2) ANyone have experience with gauge overlays for faces(I saw some ebay ones for 40, were white and went over. illumnation issues?)
3) Tachometer. You can buy new tachs to go in large pod next to the speedo, is that hard to wire and can it go into a harness that never came with one of you have to run a separate wire?
4) if tach, whats this about filters I read about?
5) Can you use a cluster that had dummy lights to put factory 3 gauges in, or will you have to use a factory 3/4 gauge cluster for donor. The one in my extra truck is a dummy light cluster, 1978. The one in my truck is a 3 gauge 1980. Just not sure if the back printed circuit does both.
6) If i cant find a tach with fuel, i will put fuel in unused pod. thats something i know guys have done. any tips?
7) Anybody have color recommendations for lighting? I do like the original halogen, but I must admit white light does the cluster good in photos I have seen on here. Willing to do uncommon combos lol.
8) are needles replaceable? 2 of mine are broken, 1 is bent, and they are all brittle and faded. But the faces are fine

Sorry if im wordy, im about to have a lot of free time and the truck is moved up on list of priorities since Ive found a lot of goodies and if we get those checks Its time for some function

Norwester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
My '86 had the large fuel gauge on the right. I bought a tach/fuel gauge from GM Sports ( I think that's the name). It just plugs into the clips previously used for the fuel gauge. You do have to run a wire to the tach but that's it. I think that tach costs around $220.00. Works very well.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
My '86 had the large fuel gauge on the right. I bought a tach/fuel gauge from GM Sports ( I think that's the name). It just plugs into the clips previously used for the fuel gauge. You do have to run a wire to the tach but that's it. I think that tach costs around $220.00. Works very well.
I don’t think they’re doing it anymore

Norwester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
I looked and couldn't find them on GM Sport's web page. What a shame at they worked well. They had a guy working in his home shop building them. I spoke with him once regarding the installation. So maybe something happened and he can't build them anymore. Hope mine holds up.

Mitchhh

Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I think Ive decided id like to refurb a cluster rather than buy one, even if it costs more. I have a few questions:

1) Can the speedo be replaced with one of similar or same design but not mechanical, but rather GPS? I dont want to limit my gearing or tire options at all and want accuracy.
2) ANyone have experience with gauge overlays for faces(I saw some ebay ones for 40, were white and went over. illumnation issues?)
3) Tachometer. You can buy new tachs to go in large pod next to the speedo, is that hard to wire and can it go into a harness that never came with one of you have to run a separate wire?
4) if tach, whats this about filters I read about?
5) Can you use a cluster that had dummy lights to put factory 3 gauges in, or will you have to use a factory 3/4 gauge cluster for donor. The one in my extra truck is a dummy light cluster, 1978. The one in my truck is a 3 gauge 1980. Just not sure if the back printed circuit does both.
6) If i cant find a tach with fuel, i will put fuel in unused pod. thats something i know guys have done. any tips?
7) Anybody have color recommendations for lighting? I do like the original halogen, but I must admit white light does the cluster good in photos I have seen on here. Willing to do uncommon combos lol.
8) are needles replaceable? 2 of mine are broken, 1 is bent, and they are all brittle and faded. But the faces are fine

Sorry if im wordy, im about to have a lot of free time and the truck is moved up on list of priorities since Ive found a lot of goodies and if we get those checks Its time for some function
I have done refurbs and with what you want I would go to ebay and find a decent cluster that has what you want-you can mix and match with your old gauges mainly you need the correct backing for the Tach since there are 2 backings with and without Tach and have different electrical connections -

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have parts left over from the refurb I did on mine, the sticky at the top of this section.

If you are going to a factory tach, you will need the proper printed circuit. And you will also need the proper shell, and stand to mount the tach too. The wiring for the tach is stand-alone from the rest of the cluster. The proper shell has the provision for the small gas gauge. Overlays will amplify the lighting, I would assume at least. I did a white overlay in my 05 Sierra. It was nice, but wouldn't take the time to do it again. Lighting is very subjective, I will leave it at that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taco main chew