Chop the top? Or don’t, that is the question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Imho, chopped tops on these trucks always look out of proportion. But if you like the way it looks, go for it. You are building the truck for you, not people on the internet :)

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
Dad is 10years in the ground, I’m coming up on 40, he didn’t have the skills to do some of these things himself, others he ran out of money for, he would of loved to see the suspension configuration, the chop I have no idea... I plan still to modify the width of the box to be a fleet side smaller in width and a fuel tank that is molded into the bed. Lots to do, have been posting on here since I started it.

Oh man, I am sorry to hear that, condolences.

I just turned 40 myself :D

Do what makes it look good for you and something you will like to see!

Opinions are like 350 Chevy's, everyone has got one :Big Laugh:

Tank6x2

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Truck Year
79/86
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
350, TH400.4:10 gears 2WD
Imho, chopped tops on these trucks always look out of proportion. But if you like the way it looks, go for it. You are building the truck for you, not people on the internet :)
No, and I’m not, it’s just to figure out what makes the chop so unappealing to those who don’t like it, lots of guys do, I’ve seen it and like them my self and I’ve seen a couple that were done wrong, but I couldn’t figure what was “wrong” with how the ones done poorly, looking for insights.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
A chopped top square holds no interest with me. Doesn't matter if it's quality work or half assed garbage. Not really a fan of chopped things in general but there's something about the proportions of a square that get unpleasingly out of wack when chopped.

This post rings true as there is a truck I have seen listed for sale off and on for a couple years now that has been cut...er murdered by someone and apparently nobody wants it.
If you watch Craigslist for long enough, you'll find one already done. Every month or so, I see a chopped top Squarebody cab or entire truck for sale dirt cheap as they have almost no resale.

In my opinion, I've yet to see a Squarebody that's chopped that looks very good. To make it look good and proportional, you probably would need to section the entire body an inch or two as well.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I agree with others on proportions. I don’t like chops much, especially on trucks. I’m trying to picture a chop I’ve ever liked. Maybe a 49 mercury, even then I don’t like too low of a roof line. Tan one looks better to me.

You must be registered for see images attach

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
As a 6 foot 5 man.... i cant even being to fathom how a chopped roof would work for me.... my head is inches from hitting the roof in any of my trucks, you'd need some custom seats or something haha

Tank6x2

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Truck Year
79/86
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
A chopped top square holds no interest with me. Doesn't matter if it's quality work or half assed garbage. Not really a fan of chopped things in general but there's something about the proportions of a square that get unpleasingly out of wack when chopped.

This post rings true as there is a truck I have seen listed for sale off and on for a couple years now that has been cut...er murdered by someone and apparently nobody wants it.

the idea is not to sell it, but I get your points, can you explain the proportions get out of whack?

Tank6x2

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Truck Year
79/86
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
As a 6 foot 5 man.... i cant even being to fathom how a chopped roof would work for me.... my head is inches from hitting the roof in any of my trucks, you'd need some custom seats or something haha
Yeah I could pretty well do whatever I want as the dual tanks aren’t going back in it...but I’m trying to figure out what doesn’t look right when you chop a square.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Im 6ft, i yanked the headliner outta my s10 cus it was hittin my head! Idk how you fit in your blazer!

nabeshin

functioning lunatic
Reaction score
First Name
Grae
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

This. I'm 6'4" and my head is almost hitting in nearly any vehicle I've ever been in. But I can actually wear a hat in the truck, so amazing. Wife can't get cars with sunroofs cause they take up valuable inches up there.

As far as looks of chopped things, I think anything made past 1955 shouldn't be chopped.

There is a mid 2000's volkswagen beetle around here that is chopped, it is unfinished and gutted. It is rotting in some semi-defunct business that seems to collect junk cars and never move them again. I'll try to get a picture.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350

You'd have to chop the top and stretch the cab.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Here ya go. Chopped like a mf. No thanks!

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Here ya go. Chopped like a mf. No thanks!

Midget truck lolz

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Tilt front end, dump bed, suicide doors. Just needs 20 or so chrome shocks and it would be straight out of 1988.

Was it hard to sell or did they take a huge hit when they sold it?

If I recall this was in the early 2000's and we'd lost touch during that time. Those ugly rims were the rage at the time. I'm sure they lost a ton of money on it. They've since built a pro-touring Camaro.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
strokedK15