Chinese Ebay Headers....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krautmeister

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 SWB
Engine Size
I'm not against the cheap eBay Chinese ones... I am certain they can bend and weld just fine. The headers and even the truck is not for a lifetime anyways. I'm just intrigued that parts are so inexpensive for these trucks (barring the high end hotrod racing stuff). Maybe I'll do the long tubes... I have a welder and the all the tools. Should take a few hours right?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I'm not against the cheap eBay Chinese ones... I am certain they can bend and weld just fine. The headers and even the truck is not for a lifetime anyways. I'm just intrigued that parts are so inexpensive for these trucks (barring the high end hotrod racing stuff). Maybe I'll do the long tubes... I have a welder and the all the tools. Should take a few hours right?
Shouldn't be to terrible of a job. As long as all your manifold bolts come out and don't break. Also it's doubtful your existing exhaust will match up. Do yourself a favors and don't use paper header gaskets. I use the Percy fuzzy black ones they aren't to expensive but I never hat an issue with them leaking. Dead Soft gaskets work well too for header and collectors.

krautmeister

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 SWB
Engine Size
Well it would be even faster if I just left them open headers!! LOL... much to my wife and my neighbors disdain!

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Only problem with that is that 305 won't like open headers.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The short headers you show in your picture look like they point the outlet straight down, which won't work in a truck because they are pointing right at the frame rail. There is usually no room for the exhaust to connect.

One other consideration is that these trucks ride fairly rough, so header flanges and tubes take a beating. The best solution is long tube headers with 3/8" flanges and 16 gauge or 14 gauge coated tubes, but those are going to cost quite a bit more (like the Hedman Elite). Cheaper headers have 1/4" flanges and 18 gauge tube, so they work loose faster and burn/rust through faster.

2 1/2" rams horn Corvette iron manifolds are one of the best flowing stock exhaust manifolds, but they only come in a straight down outlet version that will not fit your truck. You can find 2" rams horns that have a canted outlet that works with trucks, but they probably don't flow much better than the original log-style exhaust manifold.

Bruce

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I would recommend you get a fan shroud. That will be safer and help with cooling.
You beat me to it. That needs be first on the priority list of getting things done to this truck.

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
You seem like the kind of person that doesn't mind a little "sweat equity" so why not buy a used set of headers and clean them up? I found a set on C.List for $45, just needed a good wire brushing and some paint. If you are hesitant about the correct fitment, do an online search of the part numbers and see what works.
The thing about headers is they will work on this engine and almost every other small block you could end up using. Small tube, long headers are your best choice for power and economy.
That 305 could serve you well with some really cheap parts and proper tuning. A set of 58cc heads and a generic cam upgrade (<218 duration) would make it run decent.
Would you like a head start on tuning? Get a fan shroud and 180 degree thermostat. 160 is too cold and 195 is not necessary in Hotlanta.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody