Carpet Dye

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I happen to have carpet in all of my trucks. I guess this comes when you get Silverado trim level. I'd prefer the matt, but if I happen to have carpet. I at least want it to look good. The carpets in my trucks are good. They are just very faded. Rather than replace the carpet, I thnk I'd like to just dye it back to its original color.
Anyone every dyed their carpet? Anyone know how or where to get the dye and what kind to use?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
A buddy of mine used fabric paint in a rattle can to spray his gray carpets black. It looked good after he did it, smelled like hell, like a heavy paint odor, but I haven't seen it since to know how it held up.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yuck, that doesn't sound right. I doubt that held up at all. Rattle can paint huh??? I had seen one that had been dyed before and it looked great. I didn't think to ask him how he did it. I just know he had awesome carpet and I had asked where he got it, that is looked as good or better than OEM. He said it was OEM that he just dyed it. It was awesome. And it didn't stink either.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
done it plenty, works good. I used duplicolor vinyl and fabric dye and sem, it all works good. I did the monte carlo carpet twice, once to grey to cover rust and stains, 2nd to make it black to match it all. I dyed everything in that car black. it works great would do it anytime.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
It works good on vynil too? Do you have to yank the carpet out and do it?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I would think vinyl and nylon aren't natural materials that would absorb a dye very well like a cotton or wool shirt would. Whatever you do, it wont be much more than a coating on the fabric, instead of the color actually soaking into the carpet threads. The best fix would be to get out that moth-riddled wallet of yours and drop the benjamin to get a new rug!! :lol:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I know you don't have to take the carpet out to do it. Some masking on other parts you don't want dyed would likley be a good idea though.

Where you buy the dupli color dye Swims??? The SEM for rattle can plastics paint right? Like door panels and dashes? I just want to dye the carpet for now.

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
have used sems before, it turned out nice

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
any auto parts store buddy. they are all rattle cans. The sem is usually at the body shop supply store and aint cheap. wal-mart even magic mart has the duplicolor maybe some other places like lowes or something.

The carpet works good, fabric seats kinda get worn off after repeated getting in and out.

vinyl dyes great, better then fabric usually. I saw guys dye leather or vinyl seats and it held up better then my fabric ones. I did the vinyl armrests on the monte and after years they haven't worn or came off. I can find pics of it.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
Watched Stacey David do some dye jobs on some interior parts on GEARZ. Main thing was to make VERY sure that the parts were cleaned well to get off all of the armor all and such for the vinyl items. I think for the carpet I would pull it out to do it if for no other reason than just to let it "air" out for a bit after doing it.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yep just use some grease and wax remover, no need in all that other crap he used. I see tons of guys say this and that, I just used grease and wax remover a couple times and called it done.

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
Lol the carpet in the Firebird was rattle-can dyed red

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Is it actually rattle can dye, or is it paint??

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
lol don't know but it works and dyes it another color or paints it one lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andy-14