carb setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blue81

Reaction score
First Name
dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
What type of carb or induction is everyone using I'm having trouble off roading with my edelbrock

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
I think so little of carbeurators I opted to do a vortec injection swap in my K30

blue81

Reaction score
First Name
dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
That's a good idea was it pricey

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
That's a good idea was it pricey

kind of depends on which way you want to go.
Option 1: Buy the Painless harness and adapt it to a vortec motor, Defintly exspensive

Option 2: Modify a Stock harness for use in your Vehichle cheapest by far

Option 3: Pay someone to modify a stock harness for you, Defintly cheaper then the painless harness but not as cheap as you can do it yourself for, all depends on what skill level you have with wiring.

i choose to use a stock harness and modify it for use, deleting all the BS circuits for things such as ABS, Electronic 4X4, I kept the transmission controlls because I am running an electronic transmission.

what is your current set up? Motor, Transmission, Transfer case gears, ect. ect.

blue81

Reaction score
First Name
dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350 ,700r4,and a 208 not sure on gears i haven't pulled the diff covers to see

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Thread moved to Engine and Performance.

So what kind of issues are you having off-roading? Starving for fuel? You getting in some steep angles? Sometimes an electric fuel pump can help because it can recover the fuel in the float bowl much quicker than a manual pump. You could even just put the e pump on a toggle switch for off road use only since the manual pump is a flow thru. You'd also need to run an inline regulator. I think I'd try an e-pump and regulate to about 5-6lbs. Just play with it and see what and if it works, might even need as high as 7 lbs but I wouldn't go to high and put pressure on the needle and seat.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
350 ,700r4,and a 208 not sure on gears i haven't pulled the diff covers to see

Easiest way would be to buy a running 350 vortec or if your set at gettting a 454 get a running vortec 454, make sure you get the wiring harness, and computer with it.

If your planning on wheeling your truck alot then I would opt to go with a NP205 Transfer case, the 700R4 will work just fine SO LONG as you gear accordingly for the 35" tires. If its not gonna see alot of wheeling stick with your original transfercase and you wont have to change driveshaft's. unless you run into problems with driveline angles, again C4 would be the one to talk to about that. If your interested and choose to go with the vortec swap ask any and all questions, there are a few different people on here doing an LS type swap, and I am doing the 5.7 vortec swap, I havent done a very good job with pictures or explaining alot of things but when I am done I will probably do a complete write up on it.

bobehud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
91' with early 80's drivetrain
Truck Model
Suburban K3500
Engine Size
454 carbed
For carb what HR said-in fact you can run a a 4-6 psi electric pump in the rear and keep the Mech pump and it will do the same thing don't put a Holley blue pump on just a GOD pump as close to the tank as possible,i have that set up with a 454 carbed motor so far no issues but it is a Burban and and don't get vertical much....lol

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I have the Edelbrock 1406 and it floods on steep angles. I installed the offroad needle-and-seat kit and it doesn't flood "as bad", like the kit may have an angle limit but some of the hillclimbs I hit go past 45 degrees. I think with a slight float adjustment I could eliminate almost all flooding issues, except if it laid over on its side lol that's where EFI kicks carbs ass, it will just keep running. The simplicity of a carb can be fixed on the trail 20 miles from civilization where EFI could leave you stranded if a sensor dies. On the other hand if you have a fuller grasp on the system and what to look for I imagine you might be able to diagnose a problem, maybe fix it if you have a couple common problem parts with you.

For the driveline 700R4/208 should be ok as long as the axle gears are right, with 35s you want at least 4.11, 4.56 would give you more fun on the trail but might run closer to 2500 rpms in OD on the highway, instead of closer to 2000. Whatever you do dont get the "Superman" big head thinking your truck is bulletproof, bouncing it up and down, a lot of shock load on the 700R/208 will cause them to grenade and leave you stranded.

Like I've said before it becomes an issue of where you see the truck in 10 years, not next year. If you think you're going to run bigger tires/lift and want to be harder on it, you have to start building for that TODAY. That way instead of breaking good parts and replacing them with better components, you can sell your unbroken parts and recover some of the expense. (Unlike me lol)

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
For carb what HR said-in fact you can run a a 4-6 psi electric pump in the rear and keep the Mech pump and it will do the same thing don't put a Holley blue pump on just a GOD pump as close to the tank as possible,i have that set up with a 454 carbed motor so far no issues but it is a Burban and and don't get vertical much....lol

Where the hell you been bobehud??? What did I tell you about the Off-Road category? And look what you did. You bailed !!! :Sumo: You better get to postin !!! :roflbow::roflbow::roflbow:

proddy2008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado 3500 dually
Engine Size
350/sm465/d70hd
its just because of how edelbrock/carter carbs are designed when at extreme angles the gas in the bowls goes to one side and the float will either be to low, flooding it , or to high, starving it i know you can change the way they mount up on holly carbs not shure on edel/carter carbs though it would be something to look into look for center hung float or something to that effect

whiplash889

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Thread moved to Engine and Performance.

So what kind of issues are you having off-roading? Starving for fuel? You getting in some steep angles? Sometimes an electric fuel pump can help because it can recover the fuel in the float bowl much quicker than a manual pump. You could even just put the e pump on a toggle switch for off road use only since the manual pump is a flow thru. You'd also need to run an inline regulator. I think I'd try an e-pump and regulate to about 5-6lbs. Just play with it and see what and if it works, might even need as high as 7 lbs but I wouldn't go to high and put pressure on the needle and seat.

yes a e pump will do you good i run demolition derbies in the north part of pa. and i found w/o the e pump the carb was starving for the fuel added it and now she runs great

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snips71