Carb or tbi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
A and B lol, pretty straightforward.

Thats great to get a code if it sets one, but these systems dont have self tests so you may get a code that says its a bad MAP, when in actuality its a bad o2 sensor. last truck I had didnt set a code, wouldn't start without starting fluid, no fuel spray while cranking, had high idle, no vacuum leak, caused transmission to not want to shift, ran rich as hell. Fuel pump was good, ICM was good, relay was good. Can't solve that with a paper clip.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Thats great to get a code if it sets one, but these systems dont have self tests so you may get a code that says its a bad MAP, when in actuality its a bad o2 sensor. last truck I had didnt set a code, wouldn't start without starting fluid, no fuel spray while cranking, had high idle, no vacuum leak, caused transmission to not want to shift, ran rich as hell. Fuel pump was good, ICM was good, relay was good. Can't solve that with a paper clip.
Wanna bet? I can short the ECM with one and further my reasoning to tear it out.lol just not a fan of OEM TBI. I didn't like CPI once I converted it to MPI in my 99 Tahoe I loved that thing.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Wanna bet? I can short the ECM with one and further my reasoning to tear it out.lol just not a fan of OEM TBI. I didn't like CPI once I converted it to MPI in my 99 Tahoe I loved that thing.

point was you cant see the info the ecm is getting that caused it to do all that trying to compensate for a bad TPS

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
point was you cant see the info the ecm is getting that caused it to do all that trying to compensate for a bad TPS
I agree with that. The paperclip method has both led me to solve a problem and led me nowhere. I will say that the serial data scan tool that some of us have made for a few bucks really steps it up a notch. You can see everything the ECM sees and decide what doesn't look right for yourself.

Spoonbill45

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
I converted my '87 from TBI to a carb and the swap was straight forward and easy. Finding the right deals on CL or ebay can save some $$. I spent a total of $150. Ask yourself what your goal is for your ride and then go from there. Do what is in your budget. If it aint broke dont fix it. I opted for the carb swap because I plan on going up in HP and my truck is not a DD so reliability is not my main concern anymore. But that is my $0.02

Spoonbill45

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
I too have a 87 tbi 305 700r4 and I want to switch to a carb setup. I know nothing about efi and don't want to know. I thought it would cost about $1000 but you said you were able to do it for$150. What all did you get and from where? Thanks

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I too have a 87 tbi 305 700r4 and I want to switch to a carb setup. I know nothing about efi and don't want to know. I thought it would cost about $1000 but you said you were able to do it for$150. What all did you get and from where? Thanks

You will need a carb intake, 600 cfm carb, 75-85 ish standard hei dist., a regulator the keeps fuel pressure at 6 psi max so you don't flood the carb. If you know what you are doing and looking at you can buy used, if not find someone to help you or buy new so you dont get ripped off.

Spoonbill45

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Thanks for the info. I always get everything from jegs and summit. Aftermarket is so much better than factory. I will use edelbrock for everything I can and then for the stuff that edelbrock doesn't have I will look it up and see what manufacturers there are and make my decision my decision. I figure about $1000

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size

I bought an Edlebrock intake used (2104) off Craigslist for $45. They even shipped it because it wasnt local. Bought a used Edlebrock 1406 carb off ebay for $50 and my brother works at O'Reilly's so he gave me a discount on a new electric fuel pump that run normally $43 and only push 3-4psi max so no regulator needed. I also am using a fuel cell instead of my stock tanks. He also threw in some gaskets with the discount. Plus he already had a HEI laying around he wasnt using so it was free. I also had to fab up a bracket for my kick down cable for my TH350.

I would look for used parts, alot cheaper and with some research can be had. Although buying new is nice it can get expensive which some will say is not necessary and not worth it to do the swap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag