Can anyone id this p/s pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
So I need to replace my power steering pump. Problem is, it came from a junkyard when I did the hydroboost conversion and I don't know the year and model. I went to several parts stores and nothing they had looked like this.

You must be registered for see images attach

The issue is the fitting that screws into the pump. All the pumps I looked at had a nut on the back with an id too small to accept this fitting.

I looked at pumps with and without reservoirs. Tried 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton models from 78-90. What is this thing? The parts counter people never want to see me again.

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205/d44/corp14
What about the heavy-duty vans, or maybe those isuzu cab overs. If its just a matter of the pressure line fittings not fitting, maybe it would be easier to get a new pressure line. Sorry I can't be of more help.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
the presure line nut should unscrew out of the back where you can use center out of another pump in your housing. I used to change alot of the centers out and use oldsmoble hydroboost guts in my chevy pumps to make smoother steering. Kinda looks like a older P30 (forward control)smallblock pump from odd bracket.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Looks like a Pump from a mid to late 90's Burb with hydroboost and that speed sensitive assist setup.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
So I need to replace my power steering pump. Problem is, it came from a junkyard when I did the hydroboost conversion and I don't know the year and model. I went to several parts stores and nothing they had looked like this. What is this thing? The parts counter people never want to see me again.

:console:

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Looks like a Pump from a mid to late 90's Burb with hydroboost and that speed sensitive assist setup.

That's what I thought I had. I remember pulling some parts from a '94 burb and I was sure that's where the pump came from until I saw the complete replacement unit at the parts counter. The reservoir on the new one was smaller and just looked like a newer design than this one.

the presure line nut should unscrew out of the back where you can use center out of another pump in your housing. I used to change alot of the centers out and use oldsmoble hydroboost guts in my chevy pumps to make smoother steering. Kinda looks like a older P30 (forward control)smallblock pump from odd bracket.

That's what I was wondering but I didn't think they would appreciate me disassembling their new parts at the counter. So you know for sure that the nut on the back of the pump for the pressure line can be removed? If that's the case I'll just reuse the fitting and line I have. Otherwise, I guess I would need a new pressure line as well.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
used to be able to buy just the center pump with o-rings by itself. I remember buying them that way. should come apart just about like yours did just be carefull putting back in housing you don't cut oring or it will leak

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C

Forum statistics