cam break in oil/adative

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale c10
Engine Size
when getting a new cam which i have a comp cam do you have to get break in oil or can i use regular 10w-30 oil with a zinc adative?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I'd just go to the parts store and get regular camshaft assembly lube. It's as viscous as jelly, especially compared to regular motor oil, and you don't want to round a lobe or lobes. It wouldn't hurt to add some of that ZZDP stuff when you do normal oil changes or use an oil that's higher in content of it. It'll preserve the cam lobes and lifters from wear, as old flat tappet cams suffer over time with typical modern engine oils. Here is Roadkill Ep. 40 for your viewing pleasure. They install a cam at 7:20 and break it in at 14:30, but I encourage you to watch the whole thing if you haven't already.
[yt]juGNz1DJ4xw[/yt]

Last edited:

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've done countless cam break ins and I always use the cam assembly lube on LOBES ONLY and 30w non detergent oil on cam journals and use 30w non detergent for initial cam breakin.

After cam breakin drain oil, change filter....add fresh 10w-30 or whatever oil you like and fire it back up and let it get warm and call it done.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I use Brad Penn "break-in" oil...

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I've done countless cam break ins and I always use the cam assembly lube on LOBES ONLY and 30w non detergent oil on cam journals and use 30w non detergent for initial cam breakin.

After cam breakin drain oil, change filter....add fresh 10w-30 or whatever oil you like and fire it back up and let it get warm and call it done.

No no no silly! Don't you know that it's totally different than it has been for the last 800 years? Camshaft break in requires stuff with fancy names and letters and it has to cost a million dollars now or you'll flat your cam. Synthetic oil derrrrr

Zinc, noob. Geez! Get pwned. The metal us all different, it's not like, regular old school metal anymore.

Omg motor oil is different now! Omg!

Don't you wonder how Earthlings ever evolved to this point without wearing bicycle helmets as children?

It's TOTALLY different now! Chevrolet valvetrain has changed! Gawd! Don't you know they make better cams now?

Y u no has vortex heads!? That's your problem. :devil:
Don't you know how to launch a boat?

Wait. What?

You don't even have LEDS on that piece of ****? No wonder your cam went flat @ break in.Y u no has black 20 inch RIMS, nerd.

Clear taillights make my truck faster than yours.
And zddp right?

Hay OP, that's all ********. Noobs kill camshafts buying too much valvespring.
Nothing has changed...A smallblock Chevrolet is always gonna be a smallblock Chevrolet. The same today as it was in 1965.

Attachments

• ca2cb3b9b59b418a71fe9e72713acccc.jpg
    ca2cb3b9b59b418a71fe9e72713acccc.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
No no no silly! Don't you know that it's totally different than it has been for the last 800 years? Camshaft break in requires stuff with fancy names and letters and it has to cost a million dollars now or you'll flat your cam. Synthetic oil derrrrr

Zinc, noob. Geez! Get pwned. The metal us all different, it's not like, regular old school metal anymore.

Omg motor oil is different now! Omg!

Don't you wonder how Earthlings ever evolved to this point without wearing bicycle helmets as children?

It's TOTALLY different now! Chevrolet valvetrain has changed! Gawd! Don't you know they make better cams now?

Y u no has vortex heads!? That's your problem. :devil:
Don't you know how to launch a boat?

Wait. What?

You don't even have LEDS on that piece of ****? No wonder your cam went flat @ break in.Y u no has black 20 inch RIMS, nerd.

Clear taillights make my truck faster than yours.
And zddp right?

Hay OP, that's all ********. Noobs kill camshafts buying too much valvespring.
Nothing has changed...A smallblock Chevrolet is always gonna be a smallblock Chevrolet. The same today as it was in 1965.

LMFAO...:rofl:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
On my now sold 85, previous owner ran what ever oil was on sale. But it had a flat tappet in it. It did not wipe the cam, but did not look that great.I used rottella 10w-40 or other oil with zddp additive on a new cam.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Roller or flat tappet cam? Today's off-the-shelf oils don't do a good job of protecting flat tappet lobes and lifters because they have very low concentrations of the scuff inhibitor ZDDP. That's because zinc is bad for cat converters. However, those oils work fine with roller cams and lifters.

If you have a new flat tappet cam that is stock or very mild, and the valve springs are stock or near stock, you can usually get away with using moly lube on the lobes and lifter faces, and a break-in additive like CompCams #159 along with standard motor oil. Keep in mind that straight 30 wt won't flow as well as 10W-30 when at shop temperature.

For a performance cam with aggressive lobes like a Comp XE or Lunati Voodoo, or if you are using stiffer springs, I would spend a few bucks more and use a break-in oil such as Driven BR30 (10W-30) for the first few hundred miles. After break-in you can then use an oil with high ZDDP levels such as Driven Hot Rod oil, Brad Penn, Lucas, Amsoil, etc. (Personally, I do this for ALL engines with new flat tappet cams.)

With any flat tappet cam, be sure to vary the engine speed between, let's say, 1800-2200 RPM for the first 20 minutes of run time. This will ensure all the cam lobes get plenty of oil splashed on them. Don't let the engine idle during that time, if at all possible. Set the timing, idle speed, mixture, etc. later.

But don't take my word for it. Simply google "ZDDP flat tappet cam" and you'll find hundreds of papers and discussions by industry experts, including professional engine builders and cam companies.

Last edited:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Easy fix........roller cam no worries......thats how GM fixed it......:popcorn:

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Easy fix........roller cam no worries......thats how GM fixed it......:popcorn:
I don't know if they were starting to see flat tappet issues back then, but I do know it was a constant challenge to to make decent power while keeping fuel mileage and emissions in check. A roller could get more area under the curve with less duration and overlap.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Along with the added benefit of not having to worry about if you broke your cam in right...the roller set up i put in my little 407 made a world of differance. 306 duration and .580 lift

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Run a proper break in, then use a quality full synthetic oil (not a Group III either) and you don't have to worry about wear. All the ZDDP blah blah don't mean crap. Pay attention to oil which has:

Highest film strength (resistance to being squeezed)
Highest rate of evaporation (resistance to break down from extreme temps)

and you'll find by the numbers, Amsoil and Mobil 1 are at the top 1 and 2 respectively. Can't judge other "high performance" oils if they can't support their claim with numbers-those two companies do. I have the data to support those two-1200 psi film strength and 600F rate of evaporation. Non synthetics have to worry about engine wear-true synthetics do not.

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale c10
Engine Size
the cam i went with is a comp cams xtreme 4x4 12-239-3 duration 262/270 lift 462/480 was going to use spray graphite on my camshaft and lifters and use comp cams cam and lifter lube for oil i was going to go with valvoline 10w-30 syenthic oil with comp cams additive!!and for every oil change im gonna put in the additive by comp cams,i also have no emissions here in pa no cats!!what you guys think??

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I live in PA and we have IM testing......well in south central PA anyway, but on pre 95 its visual and it all depends on the inspectors eye sight....

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
After the first 3000 miles you can go to full-synth. I run Mobil1 10W30 with half a bottle of ZDDPPlus every oil change.

For break-in I would go with non-synth 10W30 with Comp Cams break-in additive, and use the assembly lube when putting it together.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gord