Cab replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Abush

Reaction score
First Name
Artis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
My 1973 C10 pickup was hit by a tree. The cab was destroyed. Would it be worth the money and time investment to try and replace the cab? The frame, engine, transmission and drivetrain are ok.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I say absolutely. If it were me, I'd look for a later round eye cab that has some upgrades over yours, but any 73-80 C-Cab would be good.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Not sure about your state, but in California the frame VIN is how the vehicle gets registered. You can put a later model cab on and it would still be registered as a 73 in your case. Just keep any paperwork on both vehicles in case of future issues.

Shilaeli hugger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Burdaddy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I say absolutely. If it were me, I'd look for a later round eye cab that has some upgrades over yours, but any 73-80 C-Cab would be good.

Agreed on replacin the cab. Mine currently has a bad sag cuz of rotted floor and other rust issues. Dont wanna mess with patchin or sellin so i picked up a clean cab for 200 with nose. Simple job too.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Go for it...the cab is a fairly simple swap. Be sure to check with your motor vehicle division regarding the legality. Some states allow you to swap the tags from the old cab to the replacement as long as an jnspection and the title is listed as salvaged. The vin number on the frame better match the cab...or down the road someone will raise a red flag.

Shilaeli hugger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Burdaddy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Go for it...the cab is a fairly simple swap. Be sure to check with your motor vehicle division regarding the legality. Some states allow you to swap the tags from the old cab to the replacement as long as an jnspection and the title is listed as salvaged. The vin number on the frame better match the cab...or down the road someone will raise a red flag.

I wouldnt worry bout legalitly. I didnt. U can make the VIN rivets easy.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI

Probably NOT the best idea to admit to doing that, nor reccomending it be done since its a felony.

I would reccomend contacting your motor vehicle department for guidance on cab swaps even if you never plan on selling your truck. An altered vin plate will raise suspicion and any law enforcement officer can and probably will impound your truck. Its not worth the risk, but then again, its your truck.:shrug:

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Cab swaps are relatively simple. I wish I had never tried to patch mine, I could have bought two cabs by now.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Cab swaps are relatively simple. I wish I had never tried to patch mine, I could have bought two cabs by now.

Usually the hardest part (at least in the rust belt states) is finding a donor cab without hidden issues. Here out in the Southwest, cabs are readily available. Some people have been known to roadtrip out here with a flatbed trailer for cabs and beds.:popcorn:

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Probably NOT the best idea to admit to doing that, nor reccomending it be done since its a felony.

I would reccomend contacting your motor vehicle department for guidance on cab swaps even if you never plan on selling your truck. An altered vin plate will raise suspicion and any law enforcement officer can and probably will impound your truck. Its not worth the risk, but then again, its your truck.:shrug:

why would this be treated any different than replacing a completely rusted out dash of a truck with a new panel and reattaching the vin plate?

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Usually the hardest part (at least in the rust belt states) is finding a donor cab without hidden issues. Here out in the Southwest, cabs are readily available. Some people have been known to roadtrip out here with a flatbed trailer for cabs and beds.:popcorn:

That's my plan, I can be in Arkansas in a day and Arizona in 2, a four day weekend and about 1,000 bucks get's me a cab ready to bolt on and go another 37 years lol.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
why would this be treated any different than replacing a completely rusted out dash of a truck with a new panel and reattaching the vin plate?

Like I stated in a previous post...better to check with your local department of motor vehicles. Laws vary from state to state, but here in Az and some other states...altering the vin INCLUDING swapping vin tags from one cab to another is considered fraud and will get the vehicle impounded pending a full inspection. Cover your bases and i quire first before assuming it is legal. A little inquiry ahead of time is better than losing the vehicle due to doing something that may be considered illegal.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
That's my plan, I can be in Arkansas in a day and Arizona in 2, a four day weekend and about 1,000 bucks get's me a cab ready to bolt on and go another 37 years lol.

Let me know if you need a source for cabs, burbs, beds, anything silverado etc. In Phoenix. I have a local supplier that has a ton of parts and he is always getting more.

The last visit that I made out to his storage yard...he had at least three dozen doors. He definately knows the specifics of silverados and burbs when it comes to years and parts specific to each.

If you are interested, shoot me a p.m. and I will give you his contact info. He has the hard to find stainless and aluminum trim pieces and small items too.

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc

This is a felony: don't listen to that guy.

Surely this msb does NOT support such actions? Why is that post visible?

OP, If you thought it was worth it - you wouldnt ask, right?

Last edited:

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
This is a felony: don't listen to that guy.

Surely this msb does NOT support such actions? Why is that post visible?

OP, If you thought it was worth it - you wouldnt ask, right?

Thanks for chiming in. Some people just don't think of the consequences. Admitting it, posting it on the internet :shrug:

:badidea:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP