Cab Lights Wiring - Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Hey,

I'm installing cab lights on my '79 C20 and I've hit a snag. The first thing I am trying to do is run the ground and hot wires up the drivers side A-pillar, but when I get my fish tape in the top and down to the bottom I can't see where it comes out. Does it let out into the cab? Into the engine compartment?

I am fishing it through the small hole on the OUTSIDE of the door seal instead of through the drivers side sun visor mounting hole because its more of a straight shot down the pillar. Once I get the wires up to there fishing them over to the visor hole shouldn't be that much of a problem.

If anybody knows where the pillar lets out please let me know! The truck is in pieces until I find out and it's my DD so I'd like to know. Also if anybody has a better way of doing this or tips that would be appreciated. :cheers:

Last edited:

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
It lets out into the cab, but I can't remember if it's up near the dash or down behind the kick panel. I went out and looked for the lead I ran years ago but apparently I did such a good job of hiding it I can't find it now.

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
It lets out into the cab, but I can't remember if it's up near the dash or down behind the kick panel. I went out and looked for the lead I ran years ago but apparently I did such a good job of hiding it I can't find it now.

Awesome, that narrows it down. I decided to try and run the fish tape through the passenger side just to see what's going on (I'm assuming the holes are the same on the driver's side). I found a circular hole cut out just above the kick panel vent that I'm thinking might be it, but I can't get my bore scope camera up in there and I don't see the end of the tape. Still searching for the exit hole.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I know I had the dash cap and pillar trim out when I ran the wire, that's probably why I can't locate it now.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
A couple of images showing the factory wire routing:

You must be registered for see images attach

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
A couple of images showing the factory wire routing:

Sweet, that's super helpful. So it doesn't come out near the floor it's up under the dash. Looks like I'm gonna be removing the dashboard now. Thanks! I'll post back about what happens in case someone else has this problem in the future.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I don't think it's necessary to remove the dash (or even the cluster). You should be able to reach up under the dash - above the ground bus block - and have access to the opening:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I don't think it's necessary to remove the dash (or even the cluster). You should be able to reach up under the dash - above the ground bus block - and have access to the opening:

You must want to sell that red cab by now huh? Ill buy it! :laughing1:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I haven't been by the shop to check on the progress lately, but it's probably black by now.

This is the end result I'm shooting for (except for the addition of cab marker lights and an increase to 1 ton GVWR:

The fender badges (Sierra Classic 3500) are proving hard to find. I have a set of nice Sierra 3500's - and given the going rate for the SC 3500's (close to $1000) I might just have to settle for those.

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size

Oh okay, I just have so much stuff wired up under there I must not have seen it. Or I was just looking too far forward towards the firewall. I have a CB and a couple of HAM band radios wired up and running to antennas on the tool box and that's where I have all my coax run (up the side of the dash between it and the door seal) because I can't find a better way to get it up to the top of the dash. If anybody knows of a secret hole for that too I'd be open to suggestions :waytogo:

farmer jon

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 Bonanza
Engine Size
I want to do this also. I have a ton of other work to do first.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I haven't been by the shop to check on the progress lately, but it's probably black by now.

This is the end result I'm shooting for (except for the addition of cab marker lights and an increase to 1 ton GVWR:

The fender badges (Sierra Classic 3500) are proving hard to find. I have a set of nice Sierra 3500's - and given the going rate for the SC 3500's (close to $1000) I might just have to settle for those.

Very nice! I like it!

I had the same thing in mind except now Im thinking of doing a dark silver/grey with an all blue engine with the shiny intake, carb and air cleaner with black inner fenders, rad support and engine accessories ???

I think a blue engine would look sharp with a grey body

I was originally thinking of this

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=545636

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Sorry for the delay!

Hey folks,

I had to finish some other projects first (Central IN has been getting POUNDED with rain), but I got the lights on!

Big thanks to chengny for the photos. I ended up removing the dash panel and working through a rectangular hole in the sheet metal to the left of the headlight switch. Those really helped, hopefully other people who want to install cab lights will find that helpful.

Somewhere on another forum, they talked about wiring the lights. There is a contact on the headlight switch specifically for the cab lights. Its to the left all the way at the top if you are looking at the contacts on the switch with the knob on the left hand side.

Anyway enough talking, here are some pictures.

Attachments

• 20150615_200741[1].jpg
    20150615_200741[1].jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 330
  • 20150615_215026[1].jpg
    20150615_215026[1].jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 336
  • 20150616_192733[1].jpg
    20150616_192733[1].jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 333

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
The next thing to do is install the exhaust system that's on the way from LMC Truck. True 2.25" duals straight out the back. Turbo mufflers, no cats. But I'll start a new thread when they come in and I get them on :party36:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonny1981k1500