C10 swap to K10 question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Has anyone one on here taken a c10 and made it a k10? If so can i keep the 2wd frame and just put all the 4wd front end components and trans gear under it or is it an extensive custom job? I love my truck but hate that shes 2wd. Im just tryin to research. Thanks for any help. So far GMSB has been very helpful to me.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I've asked this question in the past. What it all boiled down to, was it's easier to find a 4wd frame and swap it. It is possible to convert yours, you would need a new cross member, iirc ORD makes one to convert a 2wd to 4wd. Then you would need to add the hangers and pivot points for the springs and shackles. Obviously it's pretty critical to get it all positioned properly. Iirc @Honky Kong jr posted some long bed 4x4 frames near him in another post recently.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I've asked this question in the past. What it all boiled down to, was it's easier to find a 4wd frame and swap it. It is possible to convert yours, you would need a new cross member, iirc ORD makes one to convert a 2wd to 4wd. Then you would need to add the hangers and pivot points for the springs and shackles. Obviously it's pretty critical to get it all positioned properly. Iirc @Honky Kong jr posted some long bed 4x4 frames near him in another post recently.
I was curious to find the easiest way to make her 4wd. But i dont think id want to frame swap it all over so i think id just got buy a 4wd square if possible lol

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Also my problem is i live in an apartment on the main street of town with no garage or tools or welding abilities plus its my only drive vehicle so im limited to most common things everyone else can do.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Your spatial and equipment constraints sound tough going into a frame swap. I wouldn't even bother with the conversion if you could find a donor frame and trans hump out of a K-truck. I don't know how the guys on here remove cabs and beds, but I've always used our tractor. I suppose you could rig up a ceiling winch in a garage, a barn, or under a really big tree if you had no other facilities. I think I've seen someone adapt an engine hoist to do the job, too, but you still need a place to set the cab and bed to the side and/or a place to park the other frame while you do the transfer. If you have off street parking, and your super/landlord isn't a douche, you could probably make it happen, otherwise I think it'd be a hard, stressful job with a lot of potential monkey wrenches. I'd maybe ask around and see if anyone trustworthy and at least somewhat familiar could let you use garage, barn, hangar, etc. space to do the job.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
by far the easiest way is a frame swap. it's actually not hard at all. but you do need a place to do it and a way to lift the cab off and on. highdesertranger

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Frames are easy to find here the body's rot off. Hey if you wanna play with a frame I got a K5 frame that's soon getting scrapped I'm pulling the front axles and the fuel tank. It's a rolling frame no transfer case, engine or trans. It's an 89. You can have it come get it. That's right free I will even throw in a 28 spline diff., as the one in it is 30. I more or less got it for the front axle shafts. If I scrap it I will pull the rear axles when I get it to the yard. But if you want it I won't. But the fronts are mine....30 spline spares are 2 1/2 years only.....

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Frames are easy to find here the body's rot off. Hey if you wanna play with a frame I got a K5 frame that's soon getting scrapped I'm pulling the front axles and the fuel tank. It's a rolling frame no transfer case, engine or trans. It's an 89. You can have it come get it. That's right free I will even throw in a 28 spline diff., as the one in it is 30. I more or less got it for the front axle shafts. If I scrap it I will pull the rear axles when I get it to the yard. But if you want it I won't. But the fronts are mine....30 spline spares are 2 1/2 years only.....
Its a nice thought i really appreciate the offer but living in a small rented aparment on the main street of town does not allow me any place to do that kinda thing. Plus i dont have any other driver if i was to pull a frame swap. Pretty ****** situation really...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
84C20jb