C to K conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Just out of curiosity, what would I be looking at to convert a C20 frame to a K20 frame? The frame on my '87 K20 is pretty heavily scaled with rust, and I just found a '77 C20 frame that's a Lot cleaner. Outside of welding on the Leaf spring mounts what else would I be getting into?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You know I wouldn't doubt if the holes are already there for the front hangers to just bolt in. ? I do know the back shackle perch is not though.

You need the front engine cross member and the engine mount pads and the cross member that sits in front of that as well, from a 4x4 unit. Which you should have from your old K frame. other then that I think that's it.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Ok. Thanks. That's what I needed to know. Now I just need to find a trailer this weekend if it's still available.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I just re-read the post for the frame, and they weren't sure of the body style. I'm thinking this was a pick-up?

You must be registered for see images attach

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yep that looks to be a C20 there.

The only advice I have is to make absolutely sure you get those front spring hangers in the correct spot so that you don't have dog track and alignment issues!

Are you gonna sand blast it and powder coat or POR15 it?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I'm thinking I'll have it blasted, Then probably POR15. If not POR15 then paint. I know powder coat has a great looking finish to it, but it seems like everything I see that is powder coated always flakes off and looks like hell in a couple of years. (I'm mostly basing this off of the bumpers I've seen in the off road market.)

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I'm thinking I'll have it blasted, Then probably POR15. If not POR15 then paint. I know powder coat has a great looking finish to it, but it seems like everything I see that is powder coated always flakes off and looks like hell in a couple of years. (I'm mostly basing this off of the bumpers I've seen in the off road market.)

That's funny I've had this thought the last couple days that I should just get my frame powder coated after sandblasting and be done with it. Haha if what you say is true then maybe I will stick with my POR15 plan.

By the way you will have to change out those front rad core supports to the 4wd version because that support bracket is what the spring hanger bolts to.

For a discussion on how to bolt these in properly go to my thread about my bent frame http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12851

Last edited:

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Good to know. The frame may be going to someone else though, I'm 2nd in line for it. Find out after the weekend I guess.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Well honestly you would be that much further ahead if it was a 4x4 frame.

If you can find an 87 3/4 ton 4x4 frame, it comes with some bracing that you wont find on earlier trucks. and you can not retro because of the change in the cab cross member.

Maybe @kleedus has one ?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
This one just happened to pop up on an off road forum I'm on and it wasn't too far away. Wasn't actively looking. Figured I'd see what my options were. At the moment, I'm lacking a trailer or even a hitch on my '88. When I get the '87 stripped down I'll make a decision then. There's actually an '87 4x4 for parts really close to me that appears to be the HD 3/4 ton. But it has a plow frame on it and probably the same rust I already have.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
This one just happened to pop up on an off road forum I'm on and it wasn't too far away. Wasn't actively looking. Figured I'd see what my options were. At the moment, I'm lacking a trailer or even a hitch on my '88. When I get the '87 stripped down I'll make a decision then. There's actually an '87 4x4 for parts really close to me that appears to be the HD 3/4 ton. But it has a plow frame on it and probably the same rust I already have.

It would be worth checking at the very least

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Yeah, if it's still there this weekend, I'll take a look at it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04