Burning excessive oil!! Need advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Are these new pistons? Did you install top ring with the bevel up and secondcring with the bevel down.A trick for working outside in the cold throw a tarp over the car and put a forced air kerosene heater behind the car blowing under, you will be in a constant warm draft. I changed a 2 piece rear seal in 10 below weather this way.

Because heat goes to cold

76-77-78

Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Are these new pistons? Did you install top ring with the bevel up and secondcring with the bevel down.A trick for working outside in the cold throw a tarp over the car and put a forced air kerosene heater behind the car blowing under, you will be in a constant warm draft. I changed a 2 piece rear seal in 10 below weather this way.

yes they are new pistons as far as the rings go I followed the instructions in the box for the rings. But I could have put some in the wrong way somehow. And the tarp and heater idea is a good one I’ll remember that for next time something breaks and it’s -20 outside.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
IF it ran 10,000 miles and didn't have this bad of a problem until the head swap, then I'd lean toward valve seals. No chance of defective valve guides in the heads? No special valve type requirment with the heads? If Dart has a support system, I think I'd reach out to them and ask them their opinion too. They may be able to ask about what was installed in the heads and be able to pin point the problem.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Okay I guess I misread this I thought it was using oil since day one. 1.Rings installed upside down can cause this 2 ,new rings on worn out ring lands can cause this,3 incorrect rings or ring gap can cause this.But if everything was cool until you changed heads and that's all you changed, than you need to take a real hard look at these heads, just like.
hotrodpc said
,one other thing to consider are you using the correct intake gaskets and manifold for these heads.

Last edited:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
.....one other thing to consider are you using the correct intake gaskets and manifold for these heads.

I don't think the intake gaskets would cause oil burning issues. Oil leaking, yes; burning, no.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I don't think the intake gaskets would cause oil burning issues. Oil leaking, yes; burning, no.

Absolutely they can if they don't match to the intake and head correctly they can suck oil from the lifter valley.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Absolutely they can if they don't match to the intake and head correctly they can suck oil from the lifter valley.

Touche. I learned something today, now I can go home.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm not an expert like a lot of these guys but my thoughts are valve seals . I don't really suspect rings because as I understand it didn't burn this bad before the head swap. What happened...you swapped heads. That's the new thing. Look there. Of course there is gaskets that could be bad but to suck that much I think you would have a stumble or lope at idle from the air leak. I would highly suspect that head. I would vote to pull heads apart and replace seals.

Another thought on why the dirty plugs have highest compression is that they clearly have the most oil being introduced into them, so the cylinder probably had more oil either helping to seal the ring just like adding oil to do a wet test. But also there is probably similar carbon in the combustion chamber reducing the volume so increasing the compression. Or also some carbon around the rings could be helping to seal a little more?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay Don