Bumper options...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RIMoparGuy

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So I have a '79 C10 but I believe when the truck was restored (done 16 years ago, not by me) they put an '81 front clip on it. The bumper is past its prime, and from what I've seen, it's cheaper to replace than to re-chrome. I'm still new to these trucks, and I just want to make sure before I spend the money on a bumper I don't buy something that doesn't fit. Also, if anybody has any recommendations, I'm definitely still open to ideas, but would like to keep a similar look. Here is a pic of the current front end. Thanks for any help!

You must be registered for see images attach

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
...more like and 84-87 front clip. In 81, if I remember correctly, they only had a single rectangular headlight and the turn marker just below it. In 84 the models had turn signals in the front bumper like what you have. If you prefer to have a solid front bumper, it should be a direct bolt on fit. Of course, if you go with a solid front bumper, you would have to add the turn signals behind the grill. The wiring should be long enough for the change.

I have an 84 model frame, with an 87 cab, 86 bed and the front clip from a suburban (not positive of the year). I discovered after tearing into my truck that it obviously didn't originally come equipped with the quad headlights ( there wasn't a switch wired in the cab for the high beams). I made it work with adding a second dash mounted light switch for the high beams. I installed a solid smooth front bumper and had plenty of wiring to relocate the front turn signals from the bumper to the grill.

Maybe its just me, but I like the turn markers behind the grill instead of in the bumper.

I paid $140 for a brand new bumper from a local Phoenix, Az supplier. I sold the original bumper that was creased and twisted on the passenger corner for $50 on craigslist.

Last edited:

RIMoparGuy

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Funny you mention the switch for brights, mine is there and wired, I guess the guy that built it maybe put in the work to do it? I found a bumper on LMC that looks exactly like mine with the lights where mine are for $189, I think I may just go with that, I kinda wanna keep the grill clean, unless I swap and go to a whole new phantom setup.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
You got lucky. Most of the time p.o's cut corners. On my square after finding several questionable wires under the dash and no high beam switch....I determined that I should go through everything. I'm glad that I did. If there was a corner to be cut, well......it was. As of now everything has been replaced, rewired, flushed and rebuilt. Its a new old truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1