Bumper Fabrication

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smitch320

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465 Short Bed
I am not sure if this is in the correct location, if not, mods please re-locate. :sorry::)

I have been pondering replacing an old Ramsey winch. I have a ramsey bumper, and I potentially have two different Warns that I could purchase from two separate individuals for good prices(almost to go to be true). I would need to modify my bumper so that one of the two Warns, a xd9000i and a 8274. I rather have the 8274 but I would be ok the other. I would have to drill my bumper to fit the 8274, overall it would be an easier option, I think.

My question is, if I am not able to get the 8274, and get the xd9000i (or any winch that has the feet on the bottom for that matter) would a 1/4 steel plate with 4 grade 8 bolts, and a lap weld across the bottom be enough?

Tomorrow in daylight I will try and get some pictures to show in greater detail what I am trying to determine.

Thanks for any input.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
1/4 plate is sufficient, although I'm afraid I'm not picturing how you are wanting to mount the plate?

You want to weld a new plate into your current bumper, drilled for your new winch, correct?

Smitch320

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465 Short Bed
1/4 plate is sufficient, although I'm afraid I'm not picturing how you are wanting to mount the plate?

You want to weld a new plate into your current bumper, drilled for your new winch, correct?

Yep. A picture will help the image be more clear. The Ramsey has a lot more space for a winch, but only has about a 3.5 inch "plate" currently, and it has 4 holes that the tow hooks mount in, that I would remove and put 4 bolts through it and lap it on the underside of the plate. It was designed for the worm gear winch that mounts from the front of the bumper.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I'm pretty sure I understand, I don't see any reason that would not work. I would probably also weld to the underside some bracing as much as possible.

Smitch320

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465 Short Bed
I'm pretty sure I understand, I don't see any reason that would not work. I would probably also weld to the underside some bracing as much as possible.

That is another idea I had. The way the bumper is mounted on my truck, I could weld some "straps".

I will still get some pictures to give a clearer image. I'm a visual guy haha.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Yeah, in my mind, I'm thinking at least some angle or something to shore it up. I've never had a winch go shooting off the front of one of my trucks, but I also don't ever want to have a winch go shooting off the front of one of my trucks lol.

Smitch320

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465 Short Bed
Yeah, in my mind, I'm thinking at least some angle or something to shore it up. I've never had a winch go shooting off the front of one of my trucks, but I also don't ever want to have a winch go shooting off the front of one of my trucks lol.

Yes, that would not be good. haha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85Shortsquare