broken sway bar mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
So I was waiting on my wife the other day, and I was staring at my 78. I noticed that the driver side sway bar mount, under the framrail, had broken and was hanging down. Its the strap that goes over the bar and then bolts to the frame. Well the strap broke at the bolt and is straightened completely out, pointing straight at the ground. I guess that popping sound I've been hearing was the sway bar moving. Anyway, I was wondering what side effect would there be if I just remove the sway bar all together? I may put it back on eventually, but for now I don't feel like dealing with a busted mount. Thanks.

Last edited:

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
A little more body roll going around corners but that's about it. Drive like a normal person and you might not even notice it's missing. I've broken that mount also, I just welded it back together and it's been fine since.

cmull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Truck Year
1978/1984
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I took my sway bar off when I broke mine. I barely notice it if at all. But as stated above I don't drive like I'm in the Daytona 500. Drive it like a truck and you're fine without it.

firefighter-emt03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 suburban
Engine Size
I had the same issue on my '85 burb. I took a cutoff wheel and cut the old rusted bolts of and replaced the sway bar mounts with red energy greasable bushings. The kit comes with new bushings and mounts with grease fittings. I got them at autozone off the shelf for about $20.00 and picked up some new grade 8 bolts it looks great and even handles better. My truck has the 1 1/4 sway bar not sure about your year

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Wow my grammar was way off up there, no more posting at night. Anyway it sounds like this is a common problem. I think I'm going to go ahead and take it off and see how it handles. I don't drive like a moron so I think I'll be OK.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
If you're on raised suspension you'll need to dial back your driving habits a bit more than if it's stock. Personally, I like anti-sway bars. I added one to the rear since I carry a lot of weight on the roof rack and it makes a huge difference.

Concerning the first post, at least you tossed in some punctuation. Some posts are so bad I don't bother to read them. I noticed in the introduction thread that the guy from Germany writes better than the majority of U.S. members.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I, like skysurfer, like anti-sway bars as well. stock or lifted, you will have body roll without a sway bar even driving like a normal person. it all depends on the road; flat roads no problem, curvy/hills/mtns and etc. you will lean more... even with normal driving.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
The suspension is stock, with the exception of an add a leaf in the front. Tires will soon be 35 radials on 10 inch rims. I may just fix the mount, as my dad said they put it there for a reason. Plus we put new bushings in it a few years back. Can I buy just the strap at a parts store? As far as punctuation, I feel that people should at least try to type coherent sentences just to make the post legible if nothing else. But I was tired, in a hurry, and posting from my droid, which can be hit or miss. It was just a bad combination.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
The sway bar on my 80 actually won't fit. The braces for the plow mount would need to run right through it. Never had any problems at all with it.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
I had the same issue on my '85 burb. I took a cutoff wheel and cut the old rusted bolts of and replaced the sway bar mounts with red energy greasable bushings. The kit comes with new bushings and mounts with grease fittings. I got them at autozone off the shelf for about $20.00 and picked up some new grade 8 bolts it looks great and even handles better. My truck has the 1 1/4 sway bar not sure about your year

Any chance you could post a photo, and maybe a link to those on their website, or a name/part number?

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
this is a common problem on lifted trucks. because once you lift it the bar is to short. moog bushing come with a new bracket. ask me how I know. I've replaced allot of these. if you want to keep your bar you could put a link kit on it. this will fix the problem. highdesertranger

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tazdar