Broke and Bored ? Emblem Enhancement !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

burbdood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10 Suburban
Engine Size
So, what do you do when you're completely broke and bored shitless and you have great weather to work in? You improvise!

I was walking around the Suburban the other day looking over the paint and it's flaws and I was cleaning up some areas when I noticed that my Sierra Classic emblems looked a little blah. So, after a flash of inspiration, I took off for the hobby store and I got some Tamiya Red, (code X-7) which matches the red on my Sub really well and went to town. I already build models and am working on a cool 2 1/2 ton truck, Willy's Jeep and M4 Sherman diorama and have an assortment of paints, but I needed to get out of the house bad and that was the excuse I needed.

I don't have any before shots, but they were all chrome and pretty bland.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

It took me about an hour to do the driver side taking my time and I have yet to finish the passenger side because the weather just went from 71* yeasterday to 50* and raining today. I used two coats of red on each emblem because after the first coat, it looked purple-ish instead of red. and if you get any on the outside of it, you can just hit it with some Tamiya thinner and a Q-tip.

I think it sharpens up the looks a little bit and the best part is, it keeps me out of trouble and it only cost me $4.50 for the thinner and paint so the "Finance Commitee" is happy.

Last edited:

nxtlevl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Turned out pretty good..............:)

burbdood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10 Suburban
Engine Size
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with it. I know that a lot of emblems had a splash of color in them and this may not seem like a big deal to some, but to me it saved me from tearing my hair out and running into the hills. It's the small victories in the war of fatherhood that matter the most.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Dude those look awesome! I cant find the "high sierra" emblems for my truck new so it looks like some day I will be cleaning them up with hobby paint just like yours.

Sorry to hear about the job situation! I feel your pain, i've been without a job since June 11th last summer.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Man that looks really good. If I was keeping my emblems I would do that.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Nice job on that!!! :) I'm doing a similar freshening up on the trim that is supposed to go around the back of the cab :) It's going to turn out cool and matches my new pinstripe pretty well. Once I get it installed I'll post up a pic.

Isn't it fun to do little things to your truck just to switch things up a bit?? :)

burbdood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10 Suburban
Engine Size
Thank you all! It is fun to freshen things up a bit even though I know that when I lift this piece of pig iron and join the local 4x4 club it might not hold up too well. And to be honest, I'm a firm believer of building a very capable offroad rig that can cruise the strip and look good doing it as well. So, I feel that it was very much worth my time.

I still have to do the GMC on the grille and the "Suburban" nameplate on the rear barn door, but I'm pretty sure I can take those off and do those at my desk in the warmth of the great indoors. I really wish I had this spark of inspiration about 2 weeks ago instead of just 2 days before the bottom dropped out.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I thought that was your family rig?! Its really nice, I would hate to see it get its ass kicked on a trail. Besides those things are way to long to be wheeling in, right?

Reno Just got cold as a witches titie. You guys must have the same weather system up there, really puts a damper on things.

burbdood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10 Suburban
Engine Size
I thought that was your family rig?! Its really nice, I would hate to see it get its ass kicked on a trail. Besides those things are way to long to be wheeling in, right?

Yeah, it's the family hauler, but I also go hunting in it and I'd like to be able to find some new trails and maybe some secluded camping areas and do some weekend exploring with the family. I'm not big into tearing up a rig so I don't really go hog wild on nasty trails. Besides, the Mrs. gets all kinds of nervous if the truck gets just a little bit off-kilter anyway so I doubt I'm allowed to do anything too extreme.

And you never know, there might be a good size mud puddle that needs to be explored...................strictly for scientific purposes of course. :)

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Isn't it hard to take a 'Burb on the trails? I would think with it's length you'd be restricted on where you could go.

burbdood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10 Suburban
Engine Size
Isn't it hard to take a 'Burb on the trails? I would think with it's length you'd be restricted on where you could go.

Depends on the trail. You can get hung up on some rocks pretty easy because of the rear overhang, but I don't plan on taking Fillmore up the Rubicon either. And with a 4" lift and 35's, I know I can clear most of the obstacles on the trails I want to explore. And when I say trails, I really mean fire roads and fishing access roads.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
That's cool man! Maybe I can talk to the wife into letting me lift her Burb up with some 35's.... hmmmmmmm :) hehehe

nxtlevl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
That's cool man! Maybe I can talk to the wife into letting me lift her Burb up with some 35's.... hmmmmmmm :) hehehe

If by chance that works out for ya...let the rest of us in on the secret....:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag