Bright headlights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have another truck that I did a pretty simple modification to make the stock head lights brighter and allowed me to use 100w H7 lights without any electrical issues.

Is there a step by step process for installing relays in the headlight wiring of my 86 k10 that will allow the use of much higher wattage bulbs?

Thanks.

Sent from my MB865 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You can buy a universal headlight harness off eBay that has relays in it and is great for upgrading to newer style headlights. You can also get newer style headlights off eBay that take an H4 bulb, which gives you a bunch of options as far as bulbs. That's what I did.

You must be registered for see images attach

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
^^Get rid of the blue tinted bulbs^^

Blue tint on the bulbs makes the light output dimmer. Think in terms of putting sunglasses on. Just get the brightest white color spectrum and aim 'em properly.

thatcanuckguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
colin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 stepside
Engine Size
blue is actually the most intense in the colours of a light spectrum. thats why you see blue on police cars ect. the intensity carries the furthest.(even through fog, snow and rain) light is measured in kv (kelvin units) the higher the number, the more blue they will be. for eg. a 6000 k headlight is not as blue as a 8000k . factory HID headlights that you will find on a new bmw or benz are around 5000k. on the same note, switching over to a HID setup is literally a night and day difference when it comes to headlights. phun intended. LUMENS makes an awsome conversion kit. hope this helps

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
^^Get rid of the blue tinted bulbs^^

Blue tint on the bulbs makes the light output dimmer. Think in terms of putting sunglasses on. Just get the brightest white color spectrum and aim 'em properly.

Those were just the el cheapo bulbs that came with the headlights. I replaced them with Sylvania Silverstars which are...blue tinted. The light output is about 1,000 times what the factory sealed beams were so I don't care what color they are.

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thanks for the info. So, I actually have four lights. Two on the top are the regular beams and two below for high beams.

Damn, four of these things will add up quick. Also, I have noticed there are many available for 4x6 lights, but mine are 4x6.5" which is equivalent to the ones that measure 164mmx103mm.

Any recommendations on places to get a decent assembly in this size at a decent price?

Last edited:

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The 4x6 are correct for yours. That's what I used in my old '86 and they were the same size.

Just a note, you'll have to cut out the opening in the back of the headlight bucket a little for the back of the new light to fit through.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Excellent. Thanks for the tip.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And just be sure to aim them properly keeping oncoming drivers in mind. Many aren't aware, but your left headlight is supposed to be turned into the right just a bit. I don't think they do that nowdays though. Up to at least the early 70's that I'm aware of, in the directions it even said to turn the left one in.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I've been looking into doing this to my truck as well. I want to switch from the quad lights to two single lights and convert to halogen bulbs. Not certain about upgrading to a harness though. From what I have seen, it bypasses the HL switch. I really don't want another switch to deal with.

I've seen LMC has everything I need to do the conversion. However, I am curious if anyone else has converted from quads to duals. My other reason for wanting to switch to dual HL's is that the frames allow the front parking lamps to sit below the HL instead on inside the grill. I like that look much better.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've been looking into doing this to my truck as well. I want to switch from the quad lights to two single lights and convert to halogen bulbs. Not certain about upgrading to a harness though. From what I have seen, it bypasses the HL switch. I really don't want another switch to deal with.

I've seen LMC has everything I need to do the conversion. However, I am curious if anyone else has converted from quads to duals. My other reason for wanting to switch to dual HL's is that the frames allow the front parking lamps to sit below the HL instead on inside the grill. I like that look much better.

The upgrade harness doesn't completely bypass your headlight switch, it just uses relays so the power to the headlights isn't going through your switch. You pull out the headlight switch, which turns on the relay, which turns on your headlights. That's how newer vehicles are.

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Exactly. This is what I did to my other vehicle. It made a difference even before I converted the headlights.

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
Also, consider using your factory wiring as a trigger for a relay harness and some heavier gage wiring off the battery. I built a harness like that for my S10 and it made a huge difference in light output.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Ive got the harness for mine that I had in my S-10 and when taxes come in im switching my headlights over to HIDs with the H-4 style housings.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
blue is actually the most intense in the colours of a light spectrum. thats why you see blue on police cars ect. the intensity carries the furthest.(even through fog, snow and rain) light is measured in kv (kelvin units) the higher the number, the more blue they will be. for eg. a 6000 k headlight is not as blue as a 8000k . factory HID headlights that you will find on a new bmw or benz are around 5000k. on the same note, switching over to a HID setup is literally a night and day difference when it comes to headlights. phun intended. LUMENS makes an awsome conversion kit. hope this helps

Food for thought........
I upgraded the factory HIDs on my DD from 4300K bulbs to 6000K. In doing my research, several sources said not to exceed 6000k because, although the 8000K light is brighter, it has a shorter effective distance. Basically, other people will see you better, but you won't see out better. I will admit that even with the increase I did, I feel more compelled to use my fogs more on dark roads. I just don't feel like I can see as well as I did before the "upgrade". I really like how they look though, and I have my fog/driving lights (which are just as bright as headlights) to make up the difference.

I do know this: Different light sources produce different wavelengths of light, and lower frequency waves travel further than high frequency waves. My guess is that the higher temp of the lights produces higher frequency (visibly brighter) wavelengths, but their effective area is decreased. IMO, the best middle ground is 5000K-6000K.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20