Brake grabbing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
chevy calibers.go bad.easy..rust gets in behind the piston..one side is braking tight and the other side is staying loose..normal.you apply the brakes.the loose one grips.and pulls you too one side..change them both out..

some times..one or both can just lock up and start.burning up..

if the rubber lines.go bad.on the inside.the brake or caliphers..want rellease when applied..if your rubber brake lines.have not been changed..out.if they are big time old..

change out the caliphers and lines..make it right..save your self.some pain and labor..money too.dont have to do the job twice..

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Most repair shops anymore wont replace just one caliper. They will replace both.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
chevy calibers.go bad.easy..rust gets in behind the piston..one side is braking tight and the other side is staying loose..normal.you apply the brakes.the loose one grips.and pulls you too one side..change them both out..

some times..one or both can just lock up and start.burning up..

if the rubber lines.go bad.on the inside.the brake or caliphers..want rellease when applied..if your rubber brake lines.have not been changed..out.if they are big time old..

change out the caliphers and lines..make it right..save your self.some pain and labor..money too.dont have to do the job twice..

This is true on brake lines. You can have a good looking break hose to a caliper, but it can be tore internally. When this happens, it works like a one way valve, fluid will go thru it and apply the brakes, but the fluid can't back up into the master cyl when you let off the breaks in that one bad hose, so that brake will stay applied on that one wheel. Its happened to me before on an 80GMC.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
This is true on brake lines. You can have a good looking break hose to a caliper, but it can be tore internally. When this happens, it works like a one way valve, fluid will go thru it and apply the brakes, but the fluid can't back up into the master cyl when you let off the breaks in that one bad hose, so that brake will stay applied on that one wheel. Its happened to me before on an 80GMC.

But if that is the case, it would pull constantly. He doesn't seem to have one sticking closed. He's got one sticking open on the left side, if it's pulling to the right only when brakes are applied.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I've seen the piston in older calipers get lodged a little sideways, from I guess the bore getting some wear, and it can either begin to stick with the brakes applied resulting in a hot hub on one side or stick so the brake wont grab opposite to the side that pulls. Calipers are so cheap it's worth it to just change em.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
But if that is the case, it would pull constantly. He doesn't seem to have one sticking closed. He's got one sticking open on the left side, if it's pulling to the right only when brakes are applied.

NO, it wouldn't pull constantly. The truck wouldn't move. I had one do this before. It would just skid the front tire IF I could get it to move at all. I had to loosen the brake bleeder just to get the wheel freed up. It was that bad in my case.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
NO, it wouldn't pull constantly. The truck wouldn't move. I had one do this before. It would just skid the front tire IF I could get it to move at all. I had to loosen the brake bleeder just to get the wheel freed up. It was that bad in my case.

......what he said.........

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Did this ever get fixed? I got the same issue developing on my Burb. What did you find out?

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Did this ever get fixed? I got the same issue developing on my Burb. What did you find out?

Have your put it on jackstands to see inside the drums yet? I but its needs new brakes, drums, brake hardware, and wheel cylinders. Just guessing. Cant see inside your drums.

78shortandwide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm gonna take a look at it tonite sorry ive been busy with Dr. and trying to sell my mazda 626.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Have your put it on jackstands to see inside the drums yet? I but its needs new brakes, drums, brake hardware, and wheel cylinders. Just guessing. Cant see inside your drums.

No, it's in the front, it's got rotors and calipers. I might pull it into the shop at work over the weekend and lift it up with a forklift. When I did my tires after that slashing ****, I checked for play in the front and and didn't feel ****, and the wheels seemed to spin ok. I think it's a caliper hanging up, I just wanted to see what this guy found out.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
No, it's in the front, it's got rotors and calipers. I might pull it into the shop at work over the weekend and lift it up with a forklift. When I did my tires after that slashing ****, I checked for play in the front and and didn't feel ****, and the wheels seemed to spin ok. I think it's a caliper hanging up, I just wanted to see what this guy found out.

If its a caliper I recommend replacing both front ones and not just one. When was the last time the brake fluid was changed?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So you have a wheel that locks up 89S??? If so, you likley have a brake hose to the locking up caliper that is blown internally, and its not letting the fluid return. DO NOT depend on this vehicle to not move while working on this. If it lets go unexpectadly and your under it....... Just saying, use the rear e brake and/or wheel chocks.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
So you have a wheel that locks up 89S??? If so, you likely have a brake hose to the locking up caliper that is blown internally, and its not letting the fluid return. DO NOT depend on this vehicle to not move while working on this. If it lets go unexpectedly and your under it....... Just saying, use the rear e brake and/or wheel chocks.
No, not locking up. When I come to s stop, I get a slight pull to the right applying the brakes, nothing dramatic, just annoying. And it get's worse if it is an uneven surface. Only when braking, driving down the road or coasting is nice and straight. Feels like the right wheel has more stopping power than the left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fnny6770