Botched crank shaft install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Put a freshly cut crankshaft in my bare block crank will not at all spin or spin freely could this be because I for some reason put oil between the bearing and block?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
you use the right size bearings? were the bearings fully seated in the block and caps? If that checks out and it doesn't spin and there's no rods in it the crank is bent/warped or you need the block line honed/line bored to make sure all is straight.

Did you mix up any main cap positions? or facing front to rear like they should?

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
you use the right size bearings? were the bearings fully seated in the block and caps? If that checks out and it doesn't spin and there's no rods in it the crank is bent/warped or you need the block line honed/line bored to make sure all is straight.

Did you mix up any main cap positions? or facing front to rear like they should?

The crank was just cut 20 under I would assume they made sure it wasn't bent right? Block was just magnafluxed and hot tanked as well.. Wouldn't they check to see if it was line bored bearing look to be correct as the receipt from summit says 20 over I think the bearing say that as well.. Crank won't seat I can visibly see a gap at the #1 main won't seat at all unless main cap is righted in which it will not rotate at all.. Mains have numbers and are in correct order .. Also sorta looks like some scrapping on the side or rear large bearing.. But seems to fit crank fine wen the crank is out?? Not sure what's going on!

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Anyone have any ideas ?I'm stumped!

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Anyone have any ideas ?I'm stumped!

Make sure your bearings have a 20 on the back of them ( for the 20 under )
what brand of bearings are they
where is it scrapping on the thrust bearing ( the large bearing in the rear )
make sure you have the caps facing the right direction there
should a an arrow on them pointing forward
Can you post a pic of the crank sitting in the the block on the bearings

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Also you said the crank is turned 20 under
does it say it is 20 - 20 or maybe 10 - 20 or something like that

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Make sure your bearings have a 20 on the back of them ( for the 20 under )
what brand of bearings are they
where is it scrapping on the thrust bearing ( the large bearing in the rear )
make sure you have the caps facing the right direction there
should a an arrow on them pointing forward
Can you post a pic of the crank sitting in the the block on the bearings

Almost 100% they have a 20 on them all caps facing the correct way .. The thrust bearing was scrapped on the very back side..the pat that goes up and down and would be pointing to the top of motor I can send pics wen I'm off work tonight..anything else to look for?

84chevk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Did you say you put oil between the bearings and the block? If so, that's a no, no.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
When a crankshaft get's its bearing journals machined "under size" the machine shop can machine (called "turning") those journals to a variety of dimensions. They measure the existing journals, determine the amount of material that will need to be removed, in order to make them perfect again, and then do the machining. The machine shop can opt to turn the mains all at .010", or .020", and maybe even .030" depending on what they're working on, and the availability of bearings in over-sizes. They repeat the process for the rod journals. So you can have a crank with standard mains, and 10 under rods, or 20 under rods, or mains that are 10 under and rods that are standard, or any combination.

So......you need to look at your paperwork and read what they turned that crank. Are the mains still standard, or maybe 10 under, and you're trying to set 20 under bearings in there? That would certainly bind the crank.

And in case it's not clear, bearing caps are installed so that the anti-rotation tabs on the bearings are on the same side. This keeps the bearing from spinning when you get on and off the throttle.

If you can't tell what the shop did, call them. If you have a digital micrometer, measure the mains and compare that dimension to what the repair manual says is the size for the journal....and determine what you have, standard, 10 under, 20 under, etc.

You don't install bearing shells with oil on their back side.....ever.

My suggestion would be to lay the bearing shells in the block, give them a wipe of actual engine assembly lube, and then set the crank in. The crank should spin. If it does, do the same thing with the caps, one cap at a time, starting with the middle, and check to see if the crank spins after each cap is put on and tightened down.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
When a crankshaft get's its bearing journals machined "under size" the machine shop can machine (called "turning") those journals to a variety of dimensions. They measure the existing journals, determine the amount of material that will need to be removed, in order to make them perfect again, and then do the machining. The machine shop can opt to turn the mains all at .010", or .020", and maybe even .030" depending on what they're working on, and the availability of bearings in over-sizes. They repeat the process for the rod journals. So you can have a crank with standard mains, and 10 under rods, or 20 under rods, or mains that are 10 under and rods that are standard, or any combination.

So......you need to look at your paperwork and read what they turned that crank. Are the mains still standard, or maybe 10 under, and you're trying to set 20 under bearings in there? That would certainly bind the crank.

And in case it's not clear, bearing caps are installed so that the anti-rotation tabs on the bearings are on the same side. This keeps the bearing from spinning when you get on and off the throttle.

If you can't tell what the shop did, call them. If you have a digital micrometer, measure the mains and compare that dimension to what the repair manual says is the size for the journal....and determine what you have, standard, 10 under, 20 under, etc.

You don't install bearing shells with oil on their back side.....ever.

My suggestion would be to lay the bearing shells in the block, give them a wipe of actual engine assembly lube, and then set the crank in. The crank should spin. If it does, do the same thing with the caps, one cap at a time, starting with the middle, and check to see if the crank spins after each cap is put on and tightened down.

All rods and mains are 20 under looks like the correct bearings with 20 on them I'll check wen I get home..unless summit put one wrong bearing in there?? I'll confirm tonigh..and I realized after I did it the oil between block and bearing is a no no .. Would it cause it to bind up??

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
All rods and mains are 20 under looks like the correct bearings with 20 on them I'll check wen I get home..unless summit put one wrong bearing in there?? I'll confirm tonigh..and I realized after I did it the oil between block and bearing is a no no .. Would it cause it to bind up??

An oil film between bearing and the block can cause the bearing not to sit correctly. Better to start over checking rotation at each step as was mentioned above.

SkinnyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
350/TH350
The main caps should be numbered - they ~Must~ go back in their spot, arrows facing front. If you put the #2 cap anywhere but #2, your crank will likely not turn.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The main caps should be numbered - they ~Must~ go back in their spot, arrows facing front. If you put the #2 cap anywhere but #2, your crank will likely not turn.

All caps are in correct spot facing the correct direction they have numbers and arrows so I'm sure of that .

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just removed bearing cleaned all bearings and surfaces with brake parts cleaner just put crank back in here are the pics looks like the front fits the best buy still doesn't thrust bearing area defiantly does not fit ..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 69