Black color in headlight bezel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I've been trying to polish and revive the chrome on my '74 C20 grill, and I noticed that the headlight bezels (which are kinda chewed up) have remnants of a black color on the surfaces surrounding the lamp. I assumed it was dirt and grime and started polishing it off, but then I looked at the LMC catalog for replacements and realized the black is supposed to be there. I also saw some reference to the bezels having "argent" highlights, whatever the hell that means. Does anyone have a photo of what the originals were supposed to look like? From the repro parts I've seen, I don't think I can reproduce that black paint, it seems to have some kind of dappled look to it.

Has anyone restored that black color? If so, what did you do? How about buying repro bezels form LMC or elsewhere? I'm a little wary of buying plastic reproduction parts when I can avoid it, but are they decent? Thanks for the advice.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Plastic parts, will alway be plastic. I just don't see them comparing well to original pieces. They may be shinier in the short term, but look at anything made in the last 25 years if you want to know how long pkastic will stay chromed. Argent is the color silver chevy used on much of their trim and wheels. Fairly easy to match. I would think to redo your bezels, use some scotch brite to scuff/knock loose the old black finish, then respray with a matte finish of whichever color you like best. Iirc, I've seen these in the silver, black, and charcoal colors.

Erik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics