Best paint to cover frame and underside of bed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redneck_reed78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Braden
Truck Year
1987, 1991
Truck Model
R30, Suburban
Engine Size
The title says it all mostly; what should I put on my frame and under the bed when I take it off to swap it? I want it to be pretty easy and dummy proof. Doesn't have to look spectacular but it needs to keep the rust away.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I've become convinced that the higher dollar stuff doesn't do a thing the cheap stuff doesn't.

Rustoleum Rusty metal followed by the top coat of your choice is no more or less effective than Chassis Saver and the like in my experience. They all need touchups every few year's.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Por15

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
What condition is the frame in and what kind of prep did you plan on doing? If you wanted to do really easy you could just do a quick sand/wire brush and rust converter.

zbhover

Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm building a 350 powered VW beetle on a shortened and lowered S10 chassis and I used Master Series Silver (http://www.masterseriesct.com/) with hurculiner roll on bed liner over that, and I plan on using the same process on my 76 K20.

I had everything stripped down so I wired wheeled and sand blasted the frame, but I know lots of people who have just wire brushed off the loose rust and brushed on the master series with good luck. A lot of VW people swear buy this stuff, for a test I painted a rusty piece of bar stock with it and threw it out in the driveway all winter and even getting snowed on a salted it still looked good in the spring.

Wire wheeled:
You must be registered for see images attach

Sand Blasted:

Painted with Master Series:

Hurcilined:

Re-assembled:

I might just throw this engine in the k20 and build something else for the V8 beetle since that project has been on hold for a while.

I also used the silver on the ford 8.8" rear end:

A couple links for more pics:
http://www.v8beetleresource.com/chassis10.html

http://www.v8beetleresource.com/chassis14.html

http://www.v8beetleresource.com

redneck_reed78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Braden
Truck Year
1987, 1991
Truck Model
R30, Suburban
Engine Size
So do you all think I could get away with taking a wire brush to it, priming it, and then slapping on some bedliner, (probably herculiner, as I have a new gallon of it laying around)? Along with wiring, paint and body work really isn't my thing so lord I apologize for maybe seeming to be uneducated!

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
So do you all think I could get away with taking a wire brush to it, priming it, and then slapping on some bedliner, (probably herculiner, as I have a new gallon of it laying around)? Along with wiring, paint and body work really isn't my thing so lord I apologize for maybe seeming to be uneducated!

I would say no. You will want to use some rust converter, primer, paint then bed liner personally I would stop at the paint step. Up here in salt country you will want to protect the underside of the truck with some rust inhibitor too. I plan to use a product called fluid film.

redneck_reed78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Braden
Truck Year
1987, 1991
Truck Model
R30, Suburban
Engine Size
I would say no. You will want to use some rust converter, primer, paint then bed liner personally I would stop at the paint step. Up here in salt country you will want to protect the underside of the truck with some rust inhibitor too. I plan to use a product called fluid film.

Alright I looked up the rust converter stuff and that route looks like the best way to do it, at least for my needs.:cheers:

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
I believe Rust-Oleum makes a rust-inhibiting primer. Do not put bedliner directly over rust, it will make it worse. Pre-treating is a vital step or your frame will rot out in a few years.

carlgm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Truck Year
'85
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Eastwood has rust converter. This stuff works as advertised.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I painted an '86 K10 frame with Rustoleum Rubberized Undercoating seven years ago, and it still looks good today. I don't know how people feel about that particular product, but I did my wheel wells in that, and I planned to do the frame and bottom of the body in that manner as well.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I believe Rust-Oleum makes a rust-inhibiting primer. Do not put bedliner directly over rust, it will make it worse. Pre-treating is a vital step or your frame will rot out in a few years.

Heavy Rust or something, i have a gallon of it in my garage, works equally as well as Chassis Saver, which I also have a gallon of lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub