Best lift.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Busaman

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
I've been doing research on what lift kits to purchase. My only decision so far is a 4in lift. I'm not a big offroader (never). I more so tow with it on short runs to the hardware store and cruise. What's the best lift kit for street driveability? I've tried to research the E-Z ride by tuff but can only find JEEPs with the application.

Words of wisdom? DO's and DON"Ts?

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a Tuff Country EZ-Ride +2/+3 lift, and I like it a lot. Rides better than stock K-10. I did one inch higher in the back to get the same air on the front and rear tires -- the uneven fender cutouts with stock height always looks like it's dragging tail to me, like the rear springs are shot.

Replace the shackle bushings when you do the job. Tightens things up a lot.

Lots of stuff here: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=tuff+country+ez-ride+4"+lift+reviews

Here's mine just after I did it, about 18 months ago.

You must be registered for see images attach

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
lift springs in the front are really the only right way to go, your going to need extended soft lines, and a steering correction....like a raise steering arm. As for the brand everyone have there option just research and choose.

as for the rear you can do a block, which is sometimes frowned apon(not getting into that) or you can run a shackle flip like I have which is neat, also adding some leafs will give you a lift as well

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
IMO 4" is the way to go because then you can install a 4" block riser under your steering arm that comes off your Axle knucle and it will 100% correct your steering issues. I have not found any steering correction components in 2" increments, as far as I know nobody makes them. And the steering correction drag links don't really do the job properly.

Also like marks86 says a lifted springs are the only way to go up front as blocks would be illegal in most places.

Although its not a bad idea, for minimal offroading with a 4" lift, extended brakelines are not necessary. Ive personally had stock lines on a 6" lift with out troubles. Unless your going off road and articulating your axles, in that case I would get extended lines.

Also you can get matching 4" lifted springs all the way around and then you can add 1" lift blocks under your rear springs to give you that more aggressive stance.

With that setup you don't have to worry about driveshaft lengths.

and 4 " will give you the room for 33s or even 35s.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I didn't do any steering mods for a 2" lift and have had no problems in 18 months/10,000 miles in all sorts of conditions. Tuff Country says for 4" lift and above, you do need to address steering geometry.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
I didn't do any steering mods for a 2" lift and have had no problems in 18 months/10,000 miles in all sorts of conditions. Tuff Country says for 4" lift and above, you do need to address steering geometry.

you dont need any steering correction for a 2" lift, anything more than that less.

in all reality do you need a steering correction? do you need extented brake lines? no you really dont, but to do it right and have a nice reliable truck you need to spend the extra money, and there is a reason why they make this stuff

Greybeard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
75 something (maybe ???)
Truck Model
k10 and a 1/3
Engine Size
Asking "what is the best suspension" is like asking what the best beer is. :popcorn: It's whatever you have in hand at the moment or what you can afford.

As was previously mentioned 4" is good. But really, if you "never" take it off road what are you looking for? A boulevard cruiser? In that case anything would work because all you want is a bigger tire and rim combo. Use a body lift, cut some metal and you can squish 39's under the fenders. Just don't hit any large bumps or climb any curbs. If you reckon you will succumb to the thrills of off-highway usage then go with a suspension lift. But leave the body lift off.

If you want to keep the performance on the cheap keep it stock height to 2" and don't change tire size. For comfort, the flatter you can keep the springs the better. If the springs on there now are drooping just putting new stock height springs on it will raise it about an inch or more and improve the ride quality many times over. Any spring on all of these trucks need positive arch to some small degree. The moment they sag to absolutely flat or point up they are gone and so is ride quality. For the research keep in mind that more equals better. More leaves equals better ride, especially in the front. You can get a 2 leaf spring pack for less than $100 but the truck will ride like a rock. For example, take a flat 1/4" thick crowbar and bend it, now take a 1/4" of built up layers of foil and bend them. Maybe not the best of examples but you get the idea. Thick is stiff, thin is flexible. It takes more steel, time, and labor to make a flexible (softer riding) spring carry the same load however so that spring will cost more as a result.

And beware the trick of many suspension makers selling you a spring then including a load leveling spring (add-a-leaf) to make up the difference. This is poor marketing at best and a rip-off at worst. All the extra leaf does is take up space and stiffen the ride. Using a zero rate spring (the politically correct term for lift block) will do the same thing and do it much cheaper. Just don't put a "block" taller than 1/2" under the front springs.

If rear lift blocks were bad then truck manufacturers would have stopped using them decades ago. It's a cheap fix and it's safe (in the rear). Not so for the front axle however.

My 6" lift was springs in front and 2" springs in the rear with the stock 4" blocks and I used that for everything from mud to mountains. However, for me it was a cost issue, it is (was) also much cheaper by hundreds of dollars. And since I put the suspension and tires on new (all at the same time) those couple hundred dollars meant a lot.

As a side note, when I say I put the suspension on I mean the shop that did the work. I was living in an apartment in a ski resort in Colorado at the time so I had no way to do the work myself (safely- as in being ripped off). So the good folks in Carbondale got my truck and installed a Trailmaster lift with traction devices, M/T Tall Baja bias belted 39x15-15's on white wagon wheel rims and Rancho shocks, a twin tube stabilizer and the associated lifting necessities for the front steering such as a dropped pitman arm and raised steering arm and lowering the t-case. Pretty standard fare for the day. The bill out the door back then was really close to $1800. I wouldn't even be able to come close to the same thing for less than $2500 today and the vast majority of that cost would all be in the rubber. And that's if I did all the work myself.

Good luck with whatever you decide on. It's all fun.

Last edited:

Busaman

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
Thanks for all the imput. It's been very helpful in making my decision.

Busaman

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
input

Greybeard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
75 something (maybe ???)
Truck Model
k10 and a 1/3
Engine Size
Not to worry, I say imput a lot. :)

Lugnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1979, 1986
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
'79) 350/ granny 4-speed, '86) 350/A833 3-speed with overdrive
I put a set of Tuff Country springs on my '79 K20 a couple of years ago. I went with 3" EZ-ride setup all the way around. I have been well pleased so far, probably put about 15-20K on it so far. A much better ride than the well used stock springs.

I haven't done it yet but I am planning on adding a 1" block to rear to even it out a little. That is the only thing I wasn't happy with but not there fault.

It is a good quality kit and springs were made in USA.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Just DON'T do like the PO of my '86 Burb. He put an add-a-leaf up front and 3 inch ALUMINUM lift blocks on the FRONT and rear, with half-assed hardware store u-bolts all around. It's a scary sight. The ONLY thing he actually did right was install a dropped pitman arm, that shocked the hell out of me when I saw that.

Busaman

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
I guess TUFF is the way to go. So Lugnut, what is your truck sitting on now? I tried to blow your pic up.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I went the other way from Lugnut. He's got 3's all around and is going to add an inch in the back to get the stance right. I went threes in the back and one inch shorter in the front to get the stance right. Best thing about 2s in the front: no need to mess with the steering geometry. I didn't change anything, I have no bump steer, and she tracks straight and steady at 75 on the interstates.

Lugnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1979, 1986
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
'79) 350/ granny 4-speed, '86) 350/A833 3-speed with overdrive
You must be registered for see images attach

It's sitting on 33's for now. I didn't do anything to the steering, no need with just 3" of lift.

Me and several of my buddies took the 4 wheelers on a ride this weekend and I had one in the back and pulled a trailer with 3 on it. I ran between 65-70 on the interstate 1 1/2 hours each way. It rode great and drove straight.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Misty Blue