Best brand of fuel pump and sending unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
*in shame* I had them on my first car, a 1986 Honda Prelude..... :(
A truely fitting example and the road to recovery must start with the admittance of a problem.....:happy175:

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
I never put them on anything again. Hell, it was 1997, I was 16. I mean, I thought I was a bad ass then. 10 year old car. got fairly good gas mileage. was quick enough for a bone head 16 year old with a lead foot. At least it was a manual.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
i put a import direct brand in my beater a week after i got it and it has been a year now with out problems. it had the factory fuel pump when i changed it 22 yrs on the original pump is remarkable.

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
My 1986 only has one tank the driver side one 16 gallon I believe... I replaced it recently and did not replace the pump or sending unit and my gas gauge is FUBAR. It reads well past full on a full tank and when it hits half tank I am almost empty. Don't know about you but these type things drive me nuts. Will and new pump and sending unit fix this? Sorry I am new to these trucks and not a mechanic at all but I do enjoy tinkering.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Don't forget the double blade chrome windshield wiper section....or are you to young to remember those?
:laughing1::rotflmao::signs8: Its funny cus at one point my dad had a pair of those on his 73 because he got em free. And your completely right about pep boys lmfao!

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Hey guys whats best fuel pump and sending unit. I put a spectra in it last year and its sending unit is funky making gauge read over a hafe tank I have to tap on gauge moved barely. I ran out of gas thinking it was this full.
I just put a new sending unit in my 78, autozone wanted near 50 bucks. I hopped on ebay and got a brandnew one for 32 bucks with free shipping and a 10 year warranty. Mines has always read over full when full and takes like 2 days before dropping. Only thing i dont like is no tank baffle so when it sloshes the needle bobs around.

1980Spartan

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I just put a new sending unit in my 78, autozone wanted near 50 bucks. I hopped on ebay and got a brandnew one for 32 bucks with free shipping and a 10 year warranty. Mines has always read over full when full and takes like 2 days before dropping. Only thing i dont like is no tank baffle so when it sloshes the needle bobs around.

Yeah, this is my experience as well. I thought about digging around to see if I couldn't find a more accurate fuel system. It probably isn't worth the effort...

That being said, the Pacific Northwest is a hilly region, and I drive my truck fairly intermittently (to football practice or games when its not in work). That means I don't always keep track of how much gas is in it. I've had some moments of shock going up hills when I finally decide to look... :shakehead:

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Yeah, this is my experience as well. I thought about digging around to see if I couldn't find a more accurate fuel system. It probably isn't worth the effort...

That being said, the Pacific Northwest is a hilly region, and I drive my truck fairly intermittently (to football practice or games when its not in work). That means I don't always keep track of how much gas is in it. I've had some moments of shock going up hills when I finally decide to look... :shakehead:
Ive also drove like a day and a half on complete empty with the needle not movin so....

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8

Buying a tank that is made for fuel injection is about the only fix.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Buying a tank that is made for fuel injection is about the only fix.

Not real impressed with my efi tank and have been wondering if I could adapt a sender from 96 ish s10.

I bought a cheap fuel sending unit for my vette, it never went below like 3/8 a tank, just threw it in the trash and bought one from a reputable vendor for that car (stupid model specific parts).
My truck got a replacement sending unit from Rockauto and haven't had any problems with it.

K5Blazerboy87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Silverado
Engine Size
So Acdelco or Delphi?

Latest posts

Forum statistics