Bent front suspension bracket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
No I didn't do the washers yet I just realigned the truck

Oh how did you do that just tie rod adjustment or did you loosen the u bolts ?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Actually I guess looking at the pics again the spring is relatively straight still anyways.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Even if the springs were in there at an angle it wouldn't make it shake. Let's say the truck was in a front end collision and everything was knocked over a couple inches, the springs would be at a good angle and the axle shifted to one side, it would likely not cause much (if at all) trouble. Now if one rail took a direct hit and caused one spring to move rearward, that could cause trouble, but even that likely wouldn't be any kind of a shake. It would be a pull or maybe funky steering through a corner. If it were not leaf springs and a solid axle, it would be a different story.

Even an alignment alone shouldn't fix a shake, but an improper alignment can make a very minor issue more severe. A slightly out of round tire could shake with one toe setting but not another. IMHO, if it drives fine now, don't worry about it.

As for the shifter shake, it could be a sticky u-joint, driveshaft balance, or improper pinion angle. Maybe a rear tire shake, but you should feel that in the seat of your pants.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
Even if the springs were in there at an angle it wouldn't make it shake. Let's say the truck was in a front end collision and everything was knocked over a couple inches, the springs would be at a good angle and the axle shifted to one side, it would likely not cause much (if at all) trouble. Now if one rail took a direct hit and caused one spring to move rearward, that could cause trouble, but even that likely wouldn't be any kind of a shake. It would be a pull or maybe funky steering through a corner. If it were not leaf springs and a solid axle, it would be a different story.

Even an alignment alone shouldn't fix a shake, but an improper alignment can make a very minor issue more severe. A slightly out of round tire could shake with one toe setting but not another. IMHO, if it drives fine now, don't worry about it.

As for the shifter shake, it could be a sticky u-joint, driveshaft balance, or improper pinion angle. Maybe a rear tire shake, but you should feel that in the seat of your pants.

I just installed a 600 dollar double cv driveshaft from dennys driveshaft

whats your thought on my poly motor and transmission mounts

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
Is your shake constant or only at a certain speed? I'm not a alignment guy or an engine guy but I do tires all day long 5 days a week and like Bucket said it could be a out of round tire. It could also be that you have a flat spot. Have you slammed on the brakes at all and slid? The other thing would be if it only happens at a certain speed it's your wheel balance. I'm looking into getting balancing beads so I don't have to use a **** load of wheel weights everytime I balance my wheels!

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
it only happens above 45mph

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
A friend of mine had a 66 ford f250 4x4, really a bad ass truck, but it would develop speed wobble around 80 mph, the whole front axle would jump and bounce around and besides slowing down, the only way to get it to stop was to jerk the wheel left then right a few times. It scared the heck out of us riding passenger but my crazy friend did that in that truck all the time.

Speed wobble is not a fun thing to track down. But as others have mentioned it could be a tire out of round or way out of balance.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Speed wobble can be deadly because it can cause you to loose control of the vehicle at high speeds but also it can be the direct cause of catastrophic ball joint failure.

The cure for wobble is high performance steering stabilizers. If one doesn't work then use 2

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Speed wobble can be deadly because it can cause you to loose control of the vehicle at high speeds but also it can be the direct cause of catastrophic ball joint failure.

The bandaid for wobble is high performance steering stabilizers. If one doesn't work then use 2

Fixed that for you.

If you have death wobble its because something is not right with the front end.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
LOL

its caused from using large diameter tires that exceed the limitations of the factory steering stabilizer.

You would experience the same thing although to a lesser degree if you ran stock tires with out any steering stabilizer

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
LOL

its caused from using large diameter tires that exceed the limitations of the factory steering stabilizer.

You would experience the same thing although to a lesser degree if you ran stock tires with out any steering stabilizer

You shouldn't have any death wobble if you have a stock truck or slightly larger tires. Death wobble is because you have worn front components or loose components which is compounded by using larger tires.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You shouldn't have any death wobble if you have a stock truck or slightly larger tires. Death wobble is because you have worn front components or loose components which is compounded by using larger tires.

Yep that is true also

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
I have a dual ranchero setup with like 1000 miles on it

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Tie Rod ends ?

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
As far as shifter shake, you should also check the fluid level in your transmission. My truck had sat for quite a while before it was started again. When it was started the shifter shook quite a bit. After draining what little fluid was in it and refilling it to the proper level, the shake went away. It might be something that simple. You never know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scawdrey