Bent front suspension bracket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That truck looks like it has a 4" lift. Curious why your not running a raised steering arm? Looks like there was torsional force on that end than over torquing.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
That truck looks like it has a 4" lift. Curious why your not running a raised steering arm? Looks like there was torsional force on that end than over torquing.

its a 6" lift and it have a drop steering arm and a raised kingpin block

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
Have you stood outside of the truck while someone turns the steering wheel back and forth? I am thinking you might have some play in the drag link.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
its a 6" lift and it have a drop steering arm and a raised kingpin block

Is your drag link level? It looks like its pointed downwards at the back?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
So I think I found my front end shake. The brackets that hold the front of the leaf spring in place are bent from overtighen. Is there a HD replacement for these??
You must be registered for see images

free upload image
You must be registered for see images

image search

I would remove the spring and bushing from the hanger and then slowly with a very big adjustable wrench (use the wrench as a pry bar by inserting bent part of the hanger into the jaws of the wrench and tighten the jaws) bend the hanger straight then go and get some big ass washers to keep the clamping force of the bolt against the whole bushing so when the hanger and bolt is tightened the hanger squeezes the whole bushing.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
LMC sells new hangers but I would be wary of bolting that hanger together

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
I would remove the spring and bushing from the hanger and then slowly with a very big adjustable wrench (use the wrench as a pry bar by inserting bent part of the hanger into the jaws of the wrench and tighten the jaws) bend the hanger straight then go and get some big ass washers to keep the clamping force of the bolt against the whole bushing so when the hanger and bolt is tightened the hanger squeezes the whole bushing.

^This will get the job done. It looks like you are missing a couple of big washers for each side of the front spring. You might consider replacing the front bushings as well. When you take the bolt out and drop the spring, inspect them closely. Look for any deformities or cracks in the polyurethane bushing.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
^This will get the job done. It looks like you are missing a couple of big washers for each side of the front spring. You might consider replacing the front bushings as well. When you take the bolt out and drop the spring, inspect them closely. Look for any deformities or cracks in the polyurethane bushing.

brand new bushings

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins

I will give this a shot

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That won't cause a shake in the front end.

What kind of shake are you trying to track down?

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
That won't cause a shake in the front end.

What kind of shake are you trying to track down?

well I got rid of the steering wheel shake. it was my alignment. but I have a shake in my shifter at over 45mph. My shifter(nv4500) will move side to side very harshly. I wondering if the poly transmission mount is the cause?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
well I got rid of the steering wheel shake. it was my alignment. but I have a shake in my shifter at over 45mph. My shifter(nv4500) will move side to side very harshly. I wondering if the poly transmission mount is the cause?

Awesome. the washers worked ?

I guess if your shifter is coinciding with torqueing and un torqueing the drive line.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I figured as much cause if your axle is crooked and one steer is going straight and the other at an angle is gonna be like dragging one tire down the road.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
No I didn't do the washers yet I just realigned the truck

Forum statistics