Battery posts corrosion wtf

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
so what are the odds I just visited my dad today and he has a forklift of the same make, with a flathead 4, propane, and its about the same vintage. The forklift is more of the exit/enter only from one side and the controls are all to the "right" while the tank and the engine are on the "left" side of the forklift.
I don't suppose you took a picture. We are running gasoline in ours.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Wow, never thought this thread would have this many pages. Lol

Carry on :favorites13:

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

Yeah, even my worse batteries do better than this. Mine dont corrode, they just crap out while changing the oil and playing the radio. Suddenly.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

We have gotten pretty far off the battery terminal topic though. In my defense though the forklift does have battery terminals....

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Obviously I understand what a folklift is designed for. :) It's not like I'm running a wrecking yard pulling cars all day long. It's more like once a week.

I also totally agree on the cage / pallet thing, it honestly scares me and I'm not the one going up! In the 5 years I've been there this is the second time we have had to do that, and in the moment there wasn't really any other choice, I understand the safety concern and don't make a habit of it. With that said I did not know they make cages for forklifts. Typically I've had a lighting company come in once a year to replace any needed lights in the shop, if the guys will agree to doing it ourselves I'll order a cage it'll then it'll pay for itself the first time we use it, so I can justify the cost to the owner. You know how that goes....
Don’t bother with that unless you can ensure you’re following all the L&I safety requirements for hoisting personnel.
Because if something happens, liability is the same in a L&I violation or lawsuit. If anything liability is greater if you’ve shown that you recognized a requirement but didn’t follow through with proper procedures and equipment. It then can and does become a willful violation even if first violation and even if no incident occurred. (The unsafe action or condition could simply be reported by literally anyone)

And a leaky 60 year old forklift would never be considered acceptable for personnel hoisting.

In short, it’s less of a risk, legally if you play or are dumb.
Note I don’t mean “you” personally however there also is a personal liability component in some grave violations when it comes to people in a supervisory position who may be responsible in any way for the decision that lead to the incident.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Renting a scissor lift or the like would justify the costs of replacing the bulbs in the shop.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Don’t bother with that unless you can ensure you’re following all the L&I safety requirements for hoisting personnel.
Because if something happens, liability is the same in a L&I violation or lawsuit. If anything liability is greater if you’ve shown that you recognized a requirement but didn’t follow through with proper procedures and equipment. It then can and does become a willful violation even if first violation and even if no incident occurred. (The unsafe action or condition could simply be reported by literally anyone)

And a leaky 60 year old forklift would never be considered acceptable for personnel hoisting.

In short, it’s less of a risk, legally if you play or are dumb.
Note I don’t mean “you” personally however there also is a personal liability component in some grave violations when it comes to people in a supervisory position who may be responsible in any way for the decision that lead to the incident.
I know. Part of my previous response wasn't so much that I was serious about getting the cage thing, but that I wanted Michael to know I take safety seriously. Which I do very much take safety seriously. I probably just shouldn't have mentioned it.

It was a situation of needing to do something about that door and right now. There is exactly one guy I trust to run up there because I know his past background and being up high on a pallet on a folklift is not going to scare him in the least and he's going to be about as cautious as humanly possible.

Renting a scissor lift or the like would justify the costs of replacing the bulbs in the shop.
quite likely the best answer right here!

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I like to build my own battery cables out of 0/1 gauge welding wire.
When I have done it in the past I used the cheap-o replacement ends from the auto parts store seen here.
While they worked well as I soldered the ends of the wire after I clamped them down.
You must be registered for see images attach

But now, I have changed over to using these military spec style battery terminals with bolt on wire connections.
I do have a hydraulic lug press that makes quick work of the cable ends.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I like to build my own battery cables out of 0/1 gauge welding wire.
When I have done it in the past I used the cheap-o replacement ends from the auto parts store seen here.
While they worked well as I soldered the ends of the wire after I clamped them down.

But now, I have changed over to using these military spec style battery terminals with bolt on wire connections.
I do have a hydraulic lug press that makes quick work of the cable ends.
This kind of leads to an interesting topic for me. I have to admit I can see both sides of the coin on this. If you make your own you get what you want, put the pre-made I think have a little better protection against corrosion. The other day a guy from another shop was over picking my brain on an electrical problem and he said that I was the only 12 volt electrician he knew and I responded with "boy are you in trouble then". I remember when I was younger I really did enjoy working on automotive electrical, but not on these newer cars no thank you at all. Way to much wiring and way to sensitive with computer systems.

Sorry about the rabbit hole there. What I use to like to do when I made up battery cables for customer vehicles was to do the eyelets and run marine battery terminals. I always felt that was much better than the clamp ons, but then again I never thought to solder them after installing them. Conversely and as you might image we do a fair number of clamp on terminals at the shop simply on every day vehicles that need a terminal replacement. We'll have to try soldering them and see how that goes thanks for the tip!

Last edited:

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Y'all got me wantin' to make some of those cables and clamps for my two trucks now. Like I don't have enuff projects to do already.... I have one truck that you gotta take the whole dash out to replace the leaky heater core. While it's out, in goes a new evaporator also.Then there is that fender replacement also... good grief.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
A forklift is designed for lifting things, not pushing or pulling. In your situation, you will kill the clutch, on a automatic or hydraulic transmission one you will flatten the torque converter fins and ultimately wipe out the trans. Just an FYI

They make inexpensive cages that mount to the forks, please get one and use it. A person standing on a pallet, 20 feet in the air, unsecured, is an accident waiting to happen. It's far less expensive that one accident.

Meh. Yeah in a corporate setting where people are all into rules and safety procedures and whatnot, buying fancy stuff seems cheaper than a potential lawsuit. But in the real world of small shops and normal people, a guy you trust to not do something stupid is a lot cheaper when he inevitably does what we all expected and didn't get hurt. Not everyone is a moron. I have been put into some sketchy situations (as well as most people I know) and have never been injured as a result.

Only people that I know that have ever been seriously hurt in an accident was my buddy acting alone when he was about 13-14 years old who badly burned himself while literally playing with fire, and the other was a manager at my current job who worked his way up from a college douche to a desk jockey sales rep to an "engineer", to a department head in his mid 20s. He somehow thought it would earn him hero points with management to leave the safety of his office and try to do some maintenance work that nobody in our building was qualified to do (and frankly had nothing to do with him or even his department). Dude knocked over a fully extended scissor lift while he was in it, not wearing a harness, while working on an overhead crane that wasn't locked out. He himself moved the crane while he was up there and it took the lift down, dropping him from the 35 foot ceiling onto a rack of weld clamps and disemboweled himself. He's still alive and with the company to this day, but nobody was surprised that he was dumb enough to do that to himself. If a guy like Rob trusted this other dude on a pallet to fix the door, then I'm sure he was fime. It's these know-it-all type dudes that always seem to hurt themselves, not the trustworthy guy...

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I used to have a guy on the job that was always cautioning others. It got so bad that I finally just had to tell him that we were all sick of it, and that he was actually the only one that ever got hurt in our dept... and the one other dept he came from. And I didn't want to hear any more of his lecturing and warnings. He slinked away never to run his mouth again! Thankfully....

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Meh. Yeah in a corporate setting where people are all into rules and safety procedures and whatnot, buying fancy stuff seems cheaper than a potential lawsuit. But in the real world of small shops and normal people, a guy you trust to not do something stupid is a lot cheaper when he inevitably does what we all expected and didn't get hurt. Not everyone is a moron. I have been put into some sketchy situations (as well as most people I know) and have never been injured as a result.

Only people that I know that have ever been seriously hurt in an accident was my buddy acting alone when he was about 13-14 years old who badly burned himself while literally playing with fire, and the other was a manager at my current job who worked his way up from a college douche to a desk jockey sales rep to an "engineer", to a department head in his mid 20s. He somehow thought it would earn him hero points with management to leave the safety of his office and try to do some maintenance work that nobody in our building was qualified to do (and frankly had nothing to do with him or even his department). Dude knocked over a fully extended scissor lift while he was in it, not wearing a harness, while working on an overhead crane that wasn't locked out. He himself moved the crane while he was up there and it took the lift down, dropping him from the 35 foot ceiling onto a rack of weld clamps and disemboweled himself. He's still alive and with the company to this day, but nobody was surprised that he was dumb enough to do that to himself. If a guy like Rob trusted this other dude on a pallet to fix the door, then I'm sure he was fime. It's these know-it-all type dudes that always seem to hurt themselves, not the trustworthy guy...
You know in the forklift scenario that I described, (but do not endorse) Yes, as the manager sure I trusted him not to do anything to hurt himself, but he trusted me far more for sure.

Oh for anyone interested I ordered a battery for old forky, and will be installing tomorrow.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

problem is, if you got a small operation, you only need one guy to get hurt who sees $$$$$$$ or a lawyer does and then the business is simply no more because he or she was liable to keep that guy safe and to train him to certain things etc etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS