Battery died

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86suburbanNJ609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I changed all broken fuses and added one that wasn't in it's place and now there's a drawl on the battery I assume because she almost didn't have enough amps to crank today.
My question is what's the best way to troubleshoot where the problem is?
The power locks only work passenger side. And all power windows work fine. Had the truck 6 months hasn't happened before I did the fuses

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
The "added one that wasn't in it's place" sounds suspicious. Maybe the po traced a drain to that circuit and just pulled the fuse. Pull that fuse and see if the issue repeats.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Which fuse wasn't there?

86suburbanNJ609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
It said 30a pwr I pulled it out.
The starter went I just got a new one from Napa. I tried to jump it and the starter just kept clicking. I'll put the battery on low charge tonight and see what happens it had 270 amp left on it so hopefully I didn't kill it.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I can't help with your possible power draw, but I can remind you to be absolutely sure your battery connections are clean and tight. Then also your ground to frame, take it off to verify it's not trying to ground through a rust storm. Your alternator should have a ground cable directly to the battery...
don't rely on the frame grounding to be enough. Then finally your connections to the starter... again, clean and tight.
Just a friendly reminder because so many folks overlook these basic issues and go directly for a new starter/solenoid.
Good luck finding your power drain...

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
And to quote Smothandlow84...

"After replacing the starter, cables, battery, alternator........damn igntion switch!!"

86suburbanNJ609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I can't help with your possible power draw, but I can remind you to be absolutely sure your battery connections are clean and tight. Then also your ground to frame, take it off to verify it's not trying to ground through a rust storm. Your alternator should have a ground cable directly to the battery...
don't rely on the frame grounding to be enough. Then finally your connections to the starter... again, clean and tight.
Just a friendly reminder because so many folks overlook these basic issues and go directly for a new starter/solenoid.
Good luck finding your power drain...
The new starter was on point same battery started right up. I knew the starter was acting up a lil bit just sounded weaker and off a bit. It seems like whatever the PO put on the truck I had to replace. Sometimes the so called performance parts are no good for a more basic motor like my setup is.

86suburbanNJ609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
And to quote Smothandlow84...

"After replacing the starter, cables, battery, alternator........damn igntion switch!!"
I learned my lesson the hard way more then once.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Sometimes the so called performance parts are no good for a more basic motor like my setup is.

The more they overtake the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.

You'll find that a LOT of 'performance' parts are nothing more than hype and it takes allot of performance parts, put all together, with a lot of $$$$, and time, and aspirin, and wounds or injuries, to do well.
Just don't throw any tools.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
The more they overtake the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.

Trans-warp drive cr@p out on you again Snoots? :p

Great quote. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef