Ball Joint Replacement First Time!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gearheadmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra K2500
Engine Size
1986 GMC Sierra k2500
Ok so I found that my pass side Lower ball joint is bad and needs replacing. I know in order to remove it I must remove the following?
Wheel
Caliper/brake pads
Locking hub
Lock nuts
Spindle
6 housing nuts then housing
Axle shaft

Now this is my first time ever replacing ball joints do I have to remove the knuckle compleatly or no? Also what ball joint should be removed first bottom or top?

I will be buying the replacment parts from rock auto (Moog parts)
When reinstalling can I press in both top/bottom ball joints at once or seperate?

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
well basically once you remove the ball joints the knuckle will fall off except for the steering linkage remove that also. remove the top first you need the special socket for this for the adjusting sleeve. then the bottom now remove the knuckle. the ball joints can now be pressed out and new ones pressed in. then reinstall the knuckle torque the bottom first then reinstall a new adjusting sleeve on the top. the ball joints should come with instructions and proper torque values. this really is not that hard just follow the proper procedure a good shop manual would be a good idea for this job. highdesertranger

gearheadmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra K2500
Engine Size
Ok right now I'm trying to think of everything I need as in parts from rock auto I going to get moog tie rods upper/lower ball joints bearings and seals universals ect

gearheadmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra K2500
Engine Size
Does anyone know if I have to remove the upper ball joint sleeve? Or can I just leave it and just use the new ball joint?

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You are suppose to remove the sleeve and replace it when you replace the ball joint. If you get a quality ball joint like Moog it will come with a new one.

gearheadmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra K2500
Engine Size
Ok I hope the moog in rock auto comes with it then and I guess I'll have to buy the tool also

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
Are you doing both sides? I just did mine and now that I've done it, it seems easy. Autozone will loan you the kit to do the ball joints for free and if you have a compressor it is pretty easy. Get a manual and it will give you the steps and proper torque specs etc.

Get the special socket to replace the adjusting nut. Its only a couple bucks. If you get stuck post you questions on here and we'll guide you thru it. As far as doing both sides, I really only needed the drag link on the drivers side but ended up replacing everything except tie rods on both sides. That's your decision and I did what I did because I ended up replacing the ujoints in the front axles too just because I use my truck as a second vehicle and breaking down is a major pita.

gearheadmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra K2500
Engine Size
Yes and the cheapest adjustment sleeve tool I found is like $20 and what brand u joints did you use?

jnt412

Reaction score
First Name
Jamaine
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305/5.0L
Can't go wrong using Moog. Make sure to use decent grease...

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
The ones from rockauto comes with the new sleeve. I'm in then process of finishing the drivers side. Passenger side is pretty straight forward just depends if your truck cooperates with you mine didn't and I have been doing this for a week now.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

gearheadmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra K2500
Engine Size
Ok does these part #'s sound right for the rock auto parts
All Moog parts
#k8194t -------(x2)
#k8195t--------(x2)
#369 ----------(x2)
#7111023 -----(x1)

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
Yep. I got the 94 and 95 ones and one thing is the grease fitting that comes with them won't work. Your yokes of the u joint won't clear it. Had mine all back together and couldn't figure out why the axle wouldn't turn looked in and the zerk fitting was sitting I between the two yokes.

bigcountryguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
I believe that the sleeve for the upper ball joint is for castor adjustment, just make sure it goes back in the same position as the old on so you're alignment stays the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
It sets the preload. We thought that it was for castor but I called Moog and they were for preload.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
you must replace the sleeve and it should come with the ball joint. moogs do. any ball joint that doesn't come with the sleeve I would not buy. moog is an excellent choice. as far as u joints I like spicer. remember spicer is nicer. highdesertranger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising