Axle Swap - '70 3/4 Jimmy to '83 K10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikeyworks

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
In my search for tires, I found a pretty good looking deal on a set of tires, wheels, and 3/4 axles.
The axles are off a '70 GMC Jimmy and appear to be 3/4 ton or 1 ton since they're 8 lug.

View media item 7023

The rear axle needs to be rebuilt as the owner/seller shared this picture with me:

View media item 7024
Looking at this it looks like a c-clip let loose. He said he didn't open them up.

From a logistical stand point, how hard would it be to swap out these axles with the ones on my K-10?
I can rebuild that mess, not a problem, but would most of the spring perches, shock mounts, brake lines, pinions, etc. match?

The pinion/u-joint is the biggest one as I have heard through other discussion that the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton have different pinion connections.

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited:

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Your video did not transfer. I didn't think 3/4 to rear axle ran a c-clip in '70. Thought those were all full float back then, with a 3/4 not getting the c-clip until the semi floats showed up in the eighties.

Mikeyworks

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
CSFJ - thanks for the reply. I'll do some searching to figure out what may have broken. I hope it can be an easy fix so I can swap these over to my K-10....

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I hope you didn't buy that. That spindle is junk. Threads look to be gone and the bearing surfaces are wasted.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
maybe 50s early 60s GMC....

Last edited:

Mikeyworks

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Part of the challenge is I wanted to swap over the axle too...the wheels and tires are worth the price, but I'd like to get it all in one fell swoop.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Part of the challenge is I wanted to swap over the axle too...the wheels and tires are worth the price, but I'd like to get it all in one fell swoop.
Holy crap some one on the eastern part of the country. Sorry ....lol

Mikeyworks

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok, so after asking my questions, I did some quick research.
I understand now that the spindle on the 14 Bolt axle is pretty much an integrated element of the axle. You can replace it, but it basically requires cutting off the end of the axle and the welding on a replacement.

In this case, I may get the setup shown, fight him a little on price, and go to my local yard and a better rear axle/housing.

Thoughts? I really appreciate the rapid education! Nothing like a vertical learning curve!

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
As long as you go into it knowing that axle is not serviceable as is, you should be ok. Tbe other thing, I would mention is to look for one of the newer corp 14 bolt full float axles. If I remember correctly, the rear on the set you posted was a dana rear end? I'm not 100% on that, but something about the 67-72 trucks stands out in my mind about the axles. Do your research.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics