Automatic slack adjuster lever question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

williestreet

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Were there any years that GM didn't put automatic slack adjusters on their rear drum brakes?
I am getting the brakes on my 1980 step side back together and discovered there was no slack adjuster lever on my truck.
Every picture I have seen of gmc/chevy show these included. Mine are 11x 2-3/4 shoes on a 12 bolt rear end if it matters but I am sure it doesn't.
Also the two upper springs are very similar in size and shape on mine, while every pic I can find show a smaller spring on the side of the adjuster where it attaches to the slack adjuster.
I have ordered all the missing parts and will just chalk it up to the previous owner lost the parts or just didn't know what he was doing.
The more I work on this thing the more issues I find, but I guess I will get it sorted eventually.
Here is a pic of how it looked before I took everything off last fall. New shoes and hardware will be going on. Hoping to reuse the drums.
Thanks

Attachments

• 9E383992-3C0D-4FF0-A56D-75BDED2D9B98.jpeg
    9E383992-3C0D-4FF0-A56D-75BDED2D9B98.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 25

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Self-adjusters were stock. One incorrect spring, missing parts. Needs self-adjuster and hdwr kits. Be sure and check cables for being stuck. Also lining appears to be delaminating on the top.

williestreet

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Self-adjusters were stock. One incorrect spring, missing parts. Needs self-adjuster and hdwr kits. Be sure and check cables for being stuck. Also lining appears to be delaminating on the top.
Replacing both rear cables, front cable, wheel cylinders and shoes. Couldn't source an intermediate cable, but thankfully mine is in ok shape.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Back in the day (old man comment) it was not so uncommon for mechanics to remove the auto adjusters in their own vehicles. Change the engine oil, adjust the brakes also. All part of the oil change service.

Those brake linings from what I see, are riveted. Another seasoned mechanics' choice over bonded linings.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Back in the day (old man comment) it was not so uncommon for mechanics to remove the auto adjusters in their own vehicles. Change the engine oil, adjust the brakes also. All part of the oil change service.

Those brake linings from what I see, are riveted. Another seasoned mechanics' choice over bonded linings.
Wow,have you ever though most people have never had to adjust their brakes.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Wow,have you ever though most people have never had to adjust their brakes.
Some older cars have dual manual adjusters. If I remember right, one was VW. Problem with them is age/corrosion and access. Some are an absolute PITA. A 30-minute job can turn into 4.

Worst are 2 ton and heavier drum brake juice systems. Have spent days and a huge pile of the customers cash getting those back in shape, dual cylinders, adjusters, master cylinders. My back hurts thinking about it.

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
Were there any years that GM didn't put automatic slack adjusters on their rear drum brakes?
I am getting the brakes on my 1980 step side back together and discovered there was no slack adjuster lever on my truck.
Every picture I have seen of gmc/chevy show these included. Mine are 11x 2-3/4 shoes on a 12 bolt rear end if it matters but I am sure it doesn't.
Also the two upper springs are very similar in size and shape on mine, while every pic I can find show a smaller spring on the side of the adjuster where it attaches to the slack adjuster.
I have ordered all the missing parts and will just chalk it up to the previous owner lost the parts or just didn't know what he was doing.
The more I work on this thing the more issues I find, but I guess I will get it sorted eventually.
Here is a pic of how it looked before I took everything off last fall. New shoes and hardware will be going on. Hoping to reuse the drums.
Thanks
Previous owner probably lost some of the parts and didn't mind periodically adjusting the brakes, so he never bothered ordering replacements. Maybe he was just too cheap!

J.B.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad