Auto gauge in a manual.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Is there any reason why an auto cluster would not work in my stick? My odometer dosent work and i believe my fuel sender **** the bed so tracking my fuel kinda is a guess. Cut it close taking the kids to school the other day. Ran out right as i was passing the gas station. On the fuel sending unit issue, i know ive read that a bad ground will either cause it to read full or empty all the time but mine bounces around. Each time i start the truck it goes to a different level. Aside from a sending unit any other causes for this?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Is there any reason why an auto cluster would not work in my stick? My odometer dosent work and i believe my fuel sender **** the bed so tracking my fuel kinda is a guess. Cut it close taking the kids to school the other day. Ran out right as i was passing the gas station. On the fuel sending unit issue, i know ive read that a bad ground will either cause it to read full or empty all the time but mine bounces around. Each time i start the truck it goes to a different level. Aside from a sending unit any other causes for this?
Take the sender wire for the gauge and go to ground with it with the key on it should go empty if it does your gauge and wiring is good and you have voltage to the gauge. I just went threw this on my 87

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Found the answer about the auto cluster. The sender wire you are talking about where is an easy place to access it with out pulling the bed? And is there a way to get the odometer working again? Thought about it for 5 minutes after i replied and can reach the wires while under the bed.

Last edited:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Found the answer about the auto cluster. The sender wire you are talking about where is an easy place to access it with out pulling the bed? And is there a way to get the odometer working again? Thought about it for 5 minutes after i replied and can reach the wires while under the bed.
I have an 89 speedo if it’s something you’d be interested in. It’s cable driven. I had the whole cluster but I robbed the fuel gauge out of it so now it’s parts.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If a 89 will work, I have a 88 that I am going to be scrapping, should be the same. Mine is in a truck with an auto.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
If a 89 will work, I have a 88 that I am going to be scrapping, should be the same. Mine is in a truck with an auto.
That should work the speedo shouldn’t care

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
How much do you want for it?

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Same here, if you can use it, it's yours. Just let me know when you are going to be in town. I'm probably heading down to Denver Wednesday to pick up my 78, but will be back Saturday night.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Same here, if you can use it, it's yours. Just let me know when you are going to be in town. I'm probably heading down to Denver Wednesday to pick up my 78, but will be back Saturday night.
Does your 88 have bumper thingys?

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Ill definitely take it. Thanks so much. I thing we are going Christmas shopping in the next week or so. Ill pm you.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
What year did the trip meters start?

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Hk thanks as well for the offer. Im gonna go get this one from sd. At least that way i can cover the shipping from rapid haha.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevbak88