anybody know anything about these shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thaifighter

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20custom deluxe 16.5 rims
Engine Size
350 sm465/np208
Last edited:

thaifighter

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 sm465/np208
well it keeps bringing up the same link even with the different url the other shocks are from monroe with an external coil called " sensa trac load adjusting" compressed length 14" extended length 22.875" with 8.875" of travel I pull a trailer now and then that usually has a fair bit of tounge load on it

Last edited:

bobehud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
91' with early 80's drivetrain
Truck Model
Suburban K3500
Engine Size
454 carbed
You dont want sensa track shocks.If you do you will hate yourself for it.Monroe makes a hvy duty truck shock bigger piston diameter and stiffer.

I have installed hundreds of sens tracks for an explorer or some other SUV like that they are fine..They have a progressive valving system the shocks at low speeds will be soft as butter .Even off road they wouldnt react quick enough for them to be effective.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
89S is running something similar, send him a pm if he doesn't chime in.

Yes, I have the coil over shocks in the back. I do not know what brand they are, I bought them from JC Whitney, and I sold a set to dhamp if my memory serves right.

They make it a little stiffer in the Burb's ass, only got a 1/2" of lift out of them. But I think they are too tough on the shock stud mounts. They were not designed to carry weight. I did have these also on a Dodge pickup and it stiffened the ride up drastically.

If I could go back in time I would have invested the money in a set of 2" helper springs. That is my plan in the future, hopefully in the spring, and a new set of shocks all the way around after I make sure I have no loose shock studs. Or maybe even replace them with new as well. I was eyeballing up the Monroe brand shocks. This is what mine had on it when I bought it and I remember growing up my friend's Dad always bought them for his Burb.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I have Monroe Sensa-tracs on my truck and they handle well for me. With that said I don't pull a trailer of any sort with mine so I can't vouche for how well they'd work while towing.

thaifighter

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 sm465/np208
thanks for the input guys! couple of questions, first for bobehud... as it sounds like you are a professional in the auto biz what is your oppinion on the air shocks? and can you give me a link or something that will narrow down the heavy duty shocks for my truck as i am limited to searching for shocks by make model year ? also 89s the shock stud mount stress is a very good point one i didnt even consider can you elaborate on the 2" helper springs im guessing its an auxiliary spring bracketed to the frame?.......... cheers

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
... also 89s the shock stud mount stress is a very good point one i didnt even consider can you elaborate on the 2" helper springs im guessing its an auxiliary spring bracketed to the frame?.......... cheers

I didn't think about that stress on the shock mounts until a few here mentioned it, and it made sense.

The 2" add a leafs are affordable, and get added to the bottom of the leaf spring pack.

bobehud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
91' with early 80's drivetrain
Truck Model
Suburban K3500
Engine Size
454 carbed
okay here is a run down..oh air shocks are fine if your Ok with it ride like a horse and buggy..

Any shocks made for a solid axle .

I have Ranch 5000 shocks.They good daily diver shocks.

Monroe Reflex shocks made only for real trucks..super fast valving..Gabriel has nothing like it.

Most of the aftermarket shocks are built by Monroe.the older LT heavy duty shocks have the pistons which are fine again the ride suffers,good for towing.

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
You have a budget?

thaifighter

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 sm465/np208
Thanks again Bob, as for budget if I shop online Im pretty much going to save 50% off over the counter so I dont mind spending a few bucks for something that works well and is decent quality.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Yes, I have the coil over shocks in the back. I do not know what brand they are, I bought them from JC Whitney, and I sold a set to dhamp if my memory serves right.

They make it a little stiffer in the Burb's ass, only got a 1/2" of lift out of them. But I think they are too tough on the shock stud mounts. They were not designed to carry weight. I did have these also on a Dodge pickup and it stiffened the ride up drastically.

If I could go back in time I would have invested the money in a set of 2" helper springs. That is my plan in the future, hopefully in the spring, and a new set of shocks all the way around after I make sure I have no loose shock studs. Or maybe even replace them with new as well. I was eyeballing up the Monroe brand shocks. This is what mine had on it when I bought it and I remember growing up my friend's Dad always bought them for his Burb.

That you did, 89S, and I have yet to install them, or do anything else on my truck, since getting them. It's either been too hot or I've been too busy. Hopefully I'll get 'em on in a couple of months, do a thread, and give my thoughts on them. I never considered the abuse on the stud mounts though. Hmmmmm.......:think:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That you did, 89S, and I have yet to install them, or do anything else on my truck, since getting them. It's either been too hot or I've been too busy. Hopefully I'll get 'em on in a couple of months, do a thread, and give my thoughts on them. I never considered the abuse on the stud mounts though. Hmmmmm.......:think:

Hey buddy. Yeah I hear ya. My wrenching is on hold till fall.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
This is a little different scenario then what your looking for but heres my input. On my monte i have sense-tracs on the front and monro air-shocks in the back. As far as cruising goes, it rides good( once i get a swaybar under the rear it will ride perfect).
Like i said its a little offtopic but thats my input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dan87r10